Michigan 4th annual 24 hour race

Forum for all Coverleaf Racing events.

Re: Michigan 4th annual 24 hour race

Postby Audi1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 am

Is it really about 42 laps to the mile? If so, then the nominal difference between first and second now; approx. 8 miles, translates into 336 laps, or at an average of 7.2 seconds per lap, roughly 40 minutes; almost the time of a complete 48 minute driving stint.....................YIKES!

Audi1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:43 am

You have it pretty close to right Allan!
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Audi1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:02 am

And, and, and.............................the results are:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?

Audi1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:41 pm

It ain't over yet....

Heat 33 out of 36 is complete.

Not much has changed in the standings, but everyone is certainly getting tired out. Still some good racing going on, and lots of comaderie and laughter as well.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Heat 35 - SCC is in their last heat. We need 275 laps to break last year's record. And who's driving?
Smokeio is, the one who built the car. It couldn't be more a more fitting finish...
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Well, Smokeio ended with 396 laps, so we have a new record. Unofficial at this time, it looks to be 272.3 miles!!

The last heat is going on now, and Team Hazzard has a slight chance to catch Cloverleaf for 3rd. Cloverleaf may have to pull their car for repairs. If they do, the Hazzard Boys will try to capitalize.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates at the end. When you get involved with post race activities, you kinda get occupied and don't get a chance to get things updated.

The final results as they stand now...

Slot Car Corner - 272.30
Dum Dums - 263.49
Cloverleaf - 258.38
Hazard Boys - 257.11
Cincinnati - 244.30
CanAm - 241.51

There will be pictures coming within the next few days. And though I don't know how long it'll take to produce, the wait for the official video will be worth the wait. That I am positive about...
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Congrats to all, with a house full of fun like that everyone wins.

Thanks for sharing it all here, look forward to the photos.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby cgingras » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:00 pm

The official final results are in. Here they are. Team Slot Car Corner's total distance is slightly lower than what was previously thought because of a small error in the race spreadsheet during the race. The new record now stands at 271.71 miles, 2.25 miles more than the previous record set last year by the same team.

cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby mikeinclover » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

I would like to give my heart felt thanks to everyone who showed up for this event and helped to make it the success that it was. A big congrats goes out to the SCC team on not only winning but also setting the new world record this year. We try to make this event into a friendly event but also a competitive one in my mind I think we have accomplished that. With that said I am always looking for ways to improve this event in all aspects so if you have any input on what we could do or what you might see as something I can improve please feel free to ask, you can send a privet email to me if you like, I can not fix something unless I know it is broken. I only want to make this event the best I can.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Regarding the Michigan 24...

Postby SlotCarCorner » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm

Some thoughts about the Michigan 24 held at Clover Leaf Raceway March 28 - 30, 2014:

Thank you to Mike Stott and his wife for opening their home up to 30 racers who participated in this amazing event.

Thank you to Mike, Art, Dave, Paul and everyone else involved with the planning and execution of this event. Truly a top notch event - very well run and a LOT of fun for everyone who participated.

Thanks to Dave's daughter for the home cooked breakfast Sunday morning - it was delicious!

A big thumbs up to Rob for organizing the collection for a very worthwhile charity. Another thumbs up for all the racers who donated. Rob will manage similar charitable donations at future Michigan 24's!

Thank you Paul for designing the event poster - you did an incredible job. The poster will be prominently displayed at Area 51 Raceway for everyone to see.

A tip of the hat to the Hazzard Boys (Atlanta team) for making the long trek to Michigan. Despite some early car problems, you hung in there and finished strong. We hope to see you again next year!

Kudos to Team Cincinnati for a much better showing this year! Despite some motor issues early on, the car handled very well. It was great to see you all again.

Kudos also to Team Dum-Dum's on your second place finish. A strong car and some very good racers - it was great to see you all again!

Kudos to the CanAm Team - despite several mechanical problems, you hung in there and never gave up.

Thank you to Mark for sharing some tips with his controller grip - rest assured I'll be giving the tips a try.

Thank you to Paul (Clover Leaf Racing) and Eric (Cincinnati Slots) who raced on either side of me throughout the event. You are both excellent racers who are very courteous as well!

Thank you to Don and Diane for documenting this great event! I know I speak for all of the race participants (and many non-participants as well) when I say we anxiously looking forward to the video and pictures of the event! I would also like to thank you for answering my lighting related questions!

Thank you Mike for being such a good sport wearing your "special" pants! Deep down I think a lot of the participants: a) wished they had a pair, and b) wished they had the cojones to wear them... :-)

Thank you to Art's son for the laser engraved event placard's participants will proudly display on their slot boxes. They look great!

A very special thank you to Smokeio for building such an incredible race car. I am very fortunate (some might argue unfortunate...) to spend 24 hours each year riding out and back to/from the Michigan 24 with you (and to race with you on a regular basis). Your passion for all things slot car racing is contagious and your creativity knows no bounds. You are a true ambassador for this great hobby and a great friend!

Thank you Dickie for working with me (for the 4th year...) to retrain my brain to drive the infield section of the track correctly. You'd think after driving 20,000+ laps on this track I'd have it down by now (maybe next year?)...

Thank you to my teammates (Christian, Dickie, Georges and Mike) - it is always great to race with you at this event! Georges - I am working on some new pants for our SCC race uniforms... :-)

It's amazing to see how this event has grown in the four short years it has been in existence. Slot racers from around the world are familiar with this event and follow updates as the event progresses. Mike and his team have some ideas to improve coverage during future events.

While the racing on the track is world class, the camaraderie at this event has to be experienced firsthand to be believed!! It is this camaraderie that is at the heart of this event and why this event is so special. Everyone is racing hard but also having a LOT of fun! Throughout the Friday practice session and the actual 24 hour race, you'd be hard pressed to find one second (no exaggeration) when there isn't some friendly bench racing, some friendly banter or some laughter amongst the participants (usually all three of these things at once...). In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter where you finish in a heat or where your team finishes for the overall event. What does matter are the lifelong friendships that are made at the Michigan 24. It is these friendships that mean FAR more than winning a trophy or setting a world record.

Can't wait for the 5th Michigan 24 next year!! Until then, be safe my friends!

:auto-driving:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Budslots » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:58 pm

I also would like to thank Mike and the whole Cloverleaf team for putting this event on. This is our second year attending this event. I thought it was great last year but this year it was even better (didn't think that was possible). I have to say the competitors at this event are some of the best in the racing community of 1/32 scale. We have been honored to race with them for the past two years. Everyone there if not racing is on the couch or standing to the side discussing ideas, sharing knowledge in setups and forming new friendships in the process. This is why I got into this hobby and it is what keeps me coming back.

This event not only is the best run event I have been to as well for the past two years. It is becoming far more than another 24 hour race you read about. I feel it might be the best 24 hour race in the lower 48 states.

Congrats to Slot Car Corner for another world record! You guys are a machine and you do it the most humble way. Thanks for the advice and we plan to come back next year even more prepared than this year.

I have do have one thing to say. We might need more lanes if this keeps growing :D
Budslots

Postby davisju1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:24 pm

I would like to say thanks to Mike and his wife for opening up there home and putting on a great race. Meet a lot of new people and had a lot of fun and look forward to seeing everybody again.
Also congratulations to Slot Car Corner on there new record run job will done.

Jr.
Team Hazzard Boys
davisju1

Postby Dave.616 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks again Mike and the Clover Leaf gang for putting on this event. Special thanks to Dave's daughter for preparing the food. Congrats to SCC for there Win and also a New World Record!!!

Thanks to my teamates Art on red lane, Wizz or Jim W. on white lane, Kurt on yellow lane, Rob on black lane for a great race effort. Great to see old freinds and make new ones. Great racing next to you Smokeio in white lane. Great fun racing against Mark & Jason in red lane.

Thanks to Don and Diane for documenting this great event. Looking forward to seeing the video so my son & grandsons can see what there papa was doing.

Thanks to Rob for very worthwhile charity.

Dave.616 in blue lane
Dave.616

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 am

First, thanks to Mike Stott and his family for allowing us to race our slot cars in their home. It takes tremendous effort and dedication for an event like this to operate smoothly, and smooooooothly it went for sure. This event is top notch, folks, and we've never seen a more organized event anywhere. Mike Stott, Art Roberts, their families, and all of those associated with this event & Cloverleaf Racing dedicated themselves to create this world class event - they truly can't be thanked enough.

I'm sure I can speak for everyone on our team - thank you Team SCC, specifically Mike (Smokeio) for helping get our race car to where it was on Friday. We could not have had a good car without your assistance and your loaner chassis plate. Thank you for the chassis flattening tips as well - I did not know a microwave does so well in flattening chassis plates. It explained the red & brown grease stains on the underside of the chassis - hot pockets?

These tires were a bear for us to figure out, and I'd like to thank both Dave Postmus and Mike (Smokeio) for their assistance and explanations of their tire truing methods. Thank you for sharing invaluable information.

This was the most fun I've ever had racing slot cars. Racing can be surrounded by a tense atmosphere at times, but this race had none of that. It was a very friendly environment with an easy-going race organizer that knew the right time and place to exercise authority. The result is a pleasant atmosphere and very happy racers - this is evident from the responses you see here after the race. Everyone was wonderful at this event.

Congratulations to Team SCC for their world record setting race. They were truly a well oiled machine (over-oiled at times). Chuck Norris would not have stood a chance against you guys.

Lastly, thank you, Rob, for organizing the cancer raffle. I lost my mother to breast cancer at a young age - this really meant a lot. Adding this facet to the Michigan 24 makes it that much more wonderful. You'll have my support in this every year whether I am present or not.

With all that said, we hope to be back next year if 6 teams is still an option. Looking forward to the video Dan comes up with........not looking forward to hearing Jason's life story.
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Cloverleaf Racing Forum