[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Taping Tool

Taping Tool

Chicago's Finest Slot Racers Gather Here

Taping Tool

Postby oz10k » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:04 am

Hi,

I've got an almost 20 year old Carrera track and I've decided to copper tape it. I've got the tape, I'm looking for a tool to help lay it.

I know I could build one or buy one, but I'm hoping someone has one that I can borrow or rent. I'll either pick it up and drop it off or pay for mailing it.

My rolls of tape have a 3" inside diameter. 6" outside.

Thanks,
Ron
oz10k

Re: Taping Tool

Postby Z-carfan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:23 pm

If you don’t find one to rent or borrow, there is one on Thingiverse that you can print.
Search for Slot Car Copper Tape Tool.

Of course this assumes you have a 3D printer. There may be one on Shapeways also.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:27 pm

I have a home made one. Not sure how well the tape notch would line up with Carrera track.
I’m in southern Illinois.
Drop me an email.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Junior » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:02 pm

I have done my tracks by hand, it really isn't that bad, just take your time. I did sandwich the roll of copper tape between two pieces of round cardboard to keep the tape from twisting and falling off the roll.
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby oz10k » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 am

WB2, thanks! I just sent you a PM.

Junior, thanks for the encouragement. Good to hear it's manageable without a tool.

Z-carfan, good idea! I hadn't thought of 3D printing one. I don't have a printer, but I have printed some small stuff at the local library. I'll check-out what's available then decide which way to go.
oz10k

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Did you make sure to get the tape with the conductive adhesive? That makes a HUGE difference especially for taping corners.

Yes, there is one up on Thingiverse (no, I didn't put it there). Way easy to make your own if you need different spacing. TinkerCAD is free online for changing the spacing if needed so you can do it at the library if needed.

I actually ended up doing most of my track without the tool, but I have a short track.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oz10k » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi chappyman66,

Yes, I did some homework before I got started and I did get tape with a conductive adhesive.

I have played with TinkerCAD before. It took me hours to finish some on-line training, then maybe a half-hour to make a motor bracket for the old Revell in-line aluminum chassis. But that was 2+ years ago. I just opened TinkerCAD again and remembered almost nothing. But hopefully this time I'll be able to re-learn it faster.

Ron
oz10k

Postby oz10k » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 pm

I sent the Thingiverse files to my local library to get a cost estimate. The base is too tall for their machine. They have a 6" limit, and the height right now is ~6 3/4". But the cost for the whole thing would be only around $11.

I think it will work fine if I reduce the base height to 6". The roll of tape may stick-out above the top, but it should still work.

So I guess I'll be spending some time with Tinkercad. Wish me luck!

Ron
oz10k

Postby oz10k » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:08 pm

oz10k

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 pm

chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 pm

All I ever used was 2 pieces of cardboard and 1/4 inch bolt to hold them together.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bensenville Bombers