[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Tall Tires for Tall Wheels

Tall Tires for Tall Wheels

Dedicated to the two leading brands of tires in our hobby.
Paul Gage Urethane Tires & Quick Slicks Silicone Tires
Forum rules
1. This forum is for Paul Gage and Quick Slicks Tires Only.
2. Please keep your comments & questions for these brands only.

Tall Tires for Tall Wheels

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:37 am

I am building a series of classic 1950's 1/32 sports racing cars using Strombecker and Bergman bodies. These cars are a little over scale. 15mm wheels & tires look to small on them. The best looking tire/ wheel that I have been able to find are the old Artin Skinny Boy wheels that came from the Artin Mercedes DTM and GT3 Porsche cars. It is closer to 17mm by about 6 wide. I would like to find a commonly available insert wheel that I could use in these cars. The Slot.it 17X8 is the closest I can find. I'd prefer an insert 17X6 but that isn't likely to happen. Since the Slot.it 17mm wheels are really intended for modern LMP/GT cars, I am afraid that tire listed for them will be the little rubber band type used on modern cars. Can anyone lead me to the tallest tire possible for a Slot.it 17X8 wheel?

Thanks
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Tall Tires for Tall Wheels

Postby btaylor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:16 am

Mike,Dont know for sure about this, but try this link. If you are using the slot it plastic wheels, you could narrow up the center rib, and even the whole width of the wheel, and use these replacement Urethanes for Strombeckers. or PG tires for Strommies also.
http://smilinrays.webs.com/tires.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-URETHANE-S ... 2334131bae

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby RazorJon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 am

I can make any wheel you want :flags-waveusa:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:03 am

Paul has new tires #24105LM

This is how they look on a 17x8 wheel

Hope this helps.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby munter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:53 pm

That tire should fill a gap for many....it will for me.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Harry, Does that steel use the same tire as the Slot.it insert wheel?
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Yes. It will also fit the slightly smaller 16.5 Slot.it. Just test fitted.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks Harry.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:40 pm

BRM makes "16 inch wire" wheels that come with skinny tires and look really good on my Jag XK120. They are actually 22x7mm and you can find them here, or probably other places that sell BRM parts. http://www.132slotcar.us/store/product_ ... ts_id=7383
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 pm

We are in the process of making a 16.5 X 7 wheel it is in production as we speak. We already have a tire that will fit it.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Be careful of narrowing Slotit rims. That centre ridge is copied on the interior of the rim. I tried narrowing on a 17" rim and the thing fell to pieces.

That was a learning experience of the first order.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:51 am

Munter, So did it come apart while you were machining it? Or later when your car was running on the track? I have a pair of Slot.it 16.5x10s here that I was think of trying that on. I have a pair of Super wheels too of similar size. If I muffed the job and I lost a set of wheels, it wouldn't be that bad because I don't race the type of cars those wheels are typically used on anyway.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:58 am

While machining.....

I am dumb sometimes/often and should have inspected things more closely.

I did learn a lesson though.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Tire Shop