[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Quick Slicks vs PGT vs XPG- 3 Thumbs Up?

Quick Slicks vs PGT vs XPG- 3 Thumbs Up?

Dedicated to the two leading brands of tires in our hobby.
Paul Gage Urethane Tires & Quick Slicks Silicone Tires
Forum rules
1. This forum is for Paul Gage and Quick Slicks Tires Only.
2. Please keep your comments & questions for these brands only.

Quick Slicks vs PGT vs XPG- 3 Thumbs Up?

Postby paul gage » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:09 am

Just finished 5 staight days of running all three tires on an Avant Slot 1/24 Porsche 997 RSR using Scaleauto 4043 hubs with Quick Slicks', and QS repops in PGT and XPG. I repopped the QS' because they are larger diameter than the stock Scaleauto.

as reference....45' Carrera with shoulders, copper taped, L-shaped figure 8, Variable regulated 0-30V, 0-5amp power, Slot.it SCP controllers... 3.0 secs 1/32 w/mags & PGT, 3.99 secs for Slot.its etc... stock Carrera BMW Z4 on stock rubber runs 5.0's to 5.25's....
I like to run my 1/24 cars at about 20 watts, and adjust max volts and amps for each motor... the Avant Slot weighs 245 grams and runs nicely at 16V drawing about 1.25amps. In all 3 cases, any more power just spun the tires...

First day I ran about 1000 laps on each set, alternating tires every 500 laps or so. No clock running. Quick summary... PGT fastest... QS' and XPG need glue!

Second day, and all the rest,with tires glued, none have been trued yet. All 3 ran 4.50's all day. I even started mixing them up. XPG on one side QS' on the other. Learned a few things that might offer strategic benefits at select tracks!

Never clean anything during the whole period, no tape, solvents, nothing. All 3 compounds picked up marbles when the car deslotted, less than a lap to shed and back up to speed, without any cleaning. No lap times lost from switching back and forth. Even today as I am playing with my 1/32 Sunoco cars this week, zero impact to traction from all the silicone.

Post mortum... stripped 3 spur gears, 2 alllen key wrenches, 4 set screws, got very bored driving the same car allllllll dayyyyyyyyyy longggggggggggggggg!

Big confession! I did clean one set of tires with duct tape. The silicone tires I have on the front of the Avant Slot. Within 5 laps they were filthy and all zero traction like... something to consider in case the rules ban varnishes on the front tires.

Well done Quick Slicks... hmmmmm? .... oh no, wait...

paul gage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Quick Slicks vs PGT vs XPG- 3 Thumbs Up?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:24 am

Coming from you, this report means a great deal.

Well done sir. Well done.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:01 pm

This has to be one of the most impressive reviews i have read in a long time. Not so much the tire comparison,but the fact that one manufacturer is helping to promote another! To me this speaks volumes of the type of parts suppliers we have here on HRW, And in the industry as a whole. I realize that urethane's and Silicone's are apples and oranges, but that is not the real point here to me. I was just in a conversation this morning that reassured me this type of thing was happening to a good degree behind the scenes on some levels, but this is outstanding
Thank you Paul for a no BS comparison, and a business ethic that is beyond reproach in my book.
Just my 2 cents as a consumer.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Hello Paul,

Thank you for that - made my day!!

We'll be sure to incorporate you "feedback" into future product designs...

Now get some sleep!!

:text-thankyouyellow:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby mikeinclover » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Steve, depends are on the way. Thanks Paul nice comparison.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Paul, you crack me up. I wish I could have been there to see it. As far as I'm concerned, your tires are as good as I need- ever. Any better, and I wouldn't be able to follow the car with these old eyeballs. Besides, I like to see the cars when they run, like watching model trains go around the track. For me, well made tires trued by me on my equipment are a huge boost to enjoying the hobby. That is why I buy tires exclusively from you, and that's why I usually include a lot of sizes in my orders.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Supra7mg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:45 pm

PGT

What a class act.
Supra7mg

Postby Stephane B » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Paul are you on a wood track or plastic???
:text-bravo: :text-goodpost:
Stephane B

Postby cgingras » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Paul says he did the tests on a Carrera track.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:47 pm

I think we have two of the best tire makers working together. Each one providing a high quality product that will suit the taste of most any racer.

And when that happens, the enthusiast wins..regardless of which one they choose.

Well done folks.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Impressive review! Paul - thank you very much for doing this!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to The Tire Shop