[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - printed VW Squareback

printed VW Squareback

For 1/32nd Scale Models

printed VW Squareback

Postby ccobra » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:29 pm

The other day while driving to work, I noticed a VW Squareback running down the road. So I got to thinking, found a stl. file so I downloaded loaded it. After spending about 10 hours behind the computer, I managed to model up a chassis that looked like it would fit. Then for grins and giggles I attempted to model up a Subaru engine underneath the chassis with a 4-1 exhaust.Image
Got both to print out after having some difficulty in printing them out, had to do a repair stitch and close the areas between the triangles using nettfab software. Hopefully no one will notice my goof on the body, I scaled it down to .03125 instead of .03739. Darn metrics anyway.
I got the body cleaned out with the dremel and noticed a few areas requiring a little bondo, I guess I could call it a Barn Find and it had a little rusted out body panels.
I then got the slave wheels installed so that I could see how much more work will need to be done. Looks like the CAD program was right. But after a little plasti-card, bondo, and clear epoxy it looks like after a little more sanding, it will be ready for paint.
With the body mounts glued in place its time to move on. More later after a little more sanding and some paint.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: printed VW Squareback

Postby chappy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:46 pm

How cool is that. Man your burning the spools on this one. Looks really good so far
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby slothead » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm truly amazed at what you've done in a relatively short period of time. 3D printing is one of the things I've been thinking about getting into now that I'm about to retire, and this is very motivating.

I have a zillion questions which might be better addressed in a PM exchange, but for starters where did you learn how to do this and what type of computer and software are you using? I have a computer science degree (but no CAD experience) and access to a 3D lab. I'm eager to learn more so I can get started learning how to do things like this.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby ccobra » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 pm

ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Finally got some paint to stick so hopefully this weekend will accept the one step floor shine. Then I can start with the interior work and windows.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:29 am

Got the One Step laid down and the body mounted.
And now comes the hard part, getting it and myself off the track and back to the bench to finish it off. The fun is letting break in and watching the times improve with each lap. The car goes around pretty good as is with the Piranha motor and slotit gearing.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:31 pm

I haven't figured out bodies yet. I have chassis and pods and guide flags.....but bodies are beyond me so far.
Is it as simple as taking the solid body, making an empty copy at 97% and combining the two? Hollowing out by approximate shapes and Dremel is a hard way to go.
I would love to be able to print bodies.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 pm

ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:51 pm

I was able to work in a little bit more today. I got the side windows glued in and the interior work done.
And by the way, for those that think the 3d printer would be great for just slot cars, oh well, the little missus has had me printing out more that just slot car parts. I've done pocket door cup handles, bed post leg adapters, computer screen brackets just to name a few. Gee, she is getting into my slot car time here. :violin:
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: printed VW Squareback Completed

Postby ccobra » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Just finished it up this evening by installing the interior, install the windows, and touched up the wheel flares. It tipped the scales at 101 grams. Now to play with it and see how it holds up with the Grandkids.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Great to see that out running around already!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to 1/32 Showcase