[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Ferrari 312P Coupe

Ferrari 312P Coupe

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Ferrari 312P Coupe

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 am

Friend has this simple and slinky-looking Ferrari 312 P Coupe body of unknown origin. I rather like the look and he was receptive to lending for molding and casting.

First cast came out well.

Chassis-wise, still undecided on going to my inline adjust-o-wheel base hybrid chassis or a sidewinder hybrid one with a Slot It motor pod.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Ferrari 312 P Coupe

Postby -Nimrod- » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:57 am

Hi Dan

I believe it's an old Protoslot body, i have an original.
I remember copies floating around many years ago

I stand corrected!
I have all those bodies from David too, beautiful work.

Cheers
NimROD
Last edited by -Nimrod- on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:37 am

This and it's open twin are probably my two favorite under appreciated cars.
Absolutely low, wide, and sexy.

Great body....I have a Mark Gussin repop and it's gorgeous. Really looking forward to seeing the build.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Good info gap-filling on the body's origins. Those Aurora builds are gorgeous though seriously enhanced by Chris.

They continue to be appreciated.

My cast came in at a svelte 12 grams. Build's on!

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm

12 grams is good.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Parts assembled for a sidewinder hybrid chassis.

Going with a 3DRon (our club's 3D designer and print whiz) slimline FF050 sidewinder motor pod.

Fortunate to have a local club guy with the knowledge, expertise and hardware to create high quality 3D printed slot car items. You should see his car bodies.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm

That's going to be a great looking car and, I agree, 12 gms is a very light resin cast.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Chassis's assembled and rolling on 15 x 8 Slot It wheels up front and 17 x 8 CB Design rears with PG tires all around.

Mocked the body on.

Won't be this low but close.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Drivetrain's installed and running. Power's a Scalextric Sport 25k FF050 green motor. Gear ratio's of 3.6:1 with Slot It gears, a 36t 19mm spur and 10t 6.5mm pinion.

Body's mounted single post, front and rear.

Weight's at 90 grams within my preferred range of 80 - 90. Though paint, an interior tray and wheel inserts will bump that up.

Runs well so all is good.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:22 pm

That #20 color takes my breath away!!!

Look forward to seeing yours all decked out & ready for the track!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby -Nimrod- » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi Dan,

I've built a few chassis from plasticard and other bits but never brass.
Your chassis simply beautiful in it's construction
I hope to start working with brass this year, can you point me to any tools that are a must have.
Thank you for sharing

Cheers
NimROD
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:49 pm

That is just a gorgeous chassis build V4...am always impressed with your clean work!!! Looking forward to finalization of this build!!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:30 pm

The two items that have made all the difference for me are liquid acid flux and a bench top 2" cut off saw.

Liquid acid flux has made soldering so much easier and cleaner. Brush the flux to the area to be soldered. Apply solder to the heated soldering tip. Touch the tip to the surface to be soldered and watch it flow. A lot less clumpy and messy than before. Then clean with water and soap to prevent oxidation. I use Lucky Bob's (has a brush in the cap) recommended by another HRW member.

The Drillmaster cut off saw from Harbour Freight was highlighted on HRW as well. The included steel blade has been replaced with a thin Enkay 2" composite cut-off wheel providing cleaner cuts of brass strips and tubing and steel wire than I could do with a Dremel disc. The arbor hole has to be increased to 3/8" which can easily be enlargened by hand with a drill bit. Cutting's a bit slow through .064" thick brass strips but does so, cleanly.

I consider myself a novice at building chassis but it just shows that with good tools (not necessarily expensive), advice and recommendations (thanks HRW and Chrisguyw) and practice you can get a reasonable outcome.

Hope that helps.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 am

Looks great, Dan!

BTW - an international jury is being convened to determine your status as a brass/wire chassis builder. The smart money has you loosing your novice status...……….

Seriously, you're building some very nice looking brass/hybrid chassis now - keep it up!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 1/32 Showcase