Three Miatas for IROC

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Three Miatas for IROC

Postby ferrari1950 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:12 pm

I own a Mazda Miata since 1991. It is a fun summer car and I have enjoyed every one of its 28 years. So it was about time I had at lest one Miata as a 1/32 scale racer.
I created the fleet as inexpensively as possible ordering three Ocar shells with Pendle chassis and running gear. There are other versions but the price point was cheap.
Top view shows I added a brass pipe so the front axle was stable and brass bushings at the rear.
Bottom view shows where I added lead weight on the sides of the chassis and painted it flat black. I also fitted urethane tires, trued at the rear. Although I have not cast tires for a some time I have an inventory that easily will get me through till at least next spring .
Decals added front and back top and sides. Tamiya rattle can red, yellow and blue to match lane colours and we are set. Card stock was used for interiors as the pan provided did not leave clearance for the motor. I used the driver bodies provided with old Monogram helmeted heads painted to match car colours. :D
The Pendle supplied S can motor provides plenty of pick up and go. The little Miatas are evenly matched and should provide loads of fun for the guys in IROC style racing.
It’s not always about the fastest perfectly built cars. It’s about fun and these three certainly are. ;)
ferrari1950

Re: Three Miatas for IROC

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Love the Miatas!

I have always wanted one. They are the classic little sports car, but with great reliability. Easy conversions like this are a great way to have fun, even racing. Good work!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Nice looking bunch!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby slothead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Very nice. With the cars tagged for their own lane you could 'tune' each accordingly so they are as closely matched as possible. Then, drivers can rotate lanes and when all is done there can be a winning driver and a winning car, but not as a pair.

Sounds like a ton of fun to me.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Wobble » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Go the Miata. My wife and I have owned 5 of the little rascals and there's a laguna blue NA sitting in our garage now waiting for some summer fun. I need to pull finger and get a chassis under one of the 1/24 Tamiya kits I have sitting on the shelf.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slotspeed » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:22 am

I had one of these in progress and put it aside. Thanks for posting, reminds me to finish it.

The bushings and front tube are a good idea. Did you have to cut the chassis down a bit to get the required wheelbase?

I still have to sort out the tyres as one of the kit supplied ones was faulty.

Nice job.
Slotspeed

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Always are attracted to the "don't see it everyday" builds!

Appreciate all the detail so we can replicate easier your "dot connecting".

Thanks,

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:30 am

Nice builds! I'm a big fan of the Miata. I've owned two. I had a '98 Emerald Mica NB with tan top and tan leather interior and I now own a '17 Soul Red ND RF with tan leather interior. Both great cars!
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase