[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - SRC PORSCHE 914/6

SRC PORSCHE 914/6

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

SRC PORSCHE 914/6

Postby dge467 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:37 pm

dge467
The King of Foil

Re: SRC PORSCHE 914/6

Postby VenturaAlfa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm

what do you mean odd types of cars eh? The 914 was a great car and won more than a few races. I should know since I won some of them. The 914 won F prod and G prod in SCCA and raced and is still raced in everything from E Prod to H prod depending on what engine is in it.

The old site has my car as the avatar. I will have to find another picture and post it.

Ventura Alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 pm

I'll be honest, when I first saw these cars I thought they were odd looking. I was used to the typically swoopy body work on most Porsche's. But they grew on me after awhile. Please post some pic's of it when you can!
Last edited by dge467 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Very good report. Well done.

It should remind you of Flyslot, regardless of name they are very much the same thing IMHO.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Rleog » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks for your perspective, Jeff. I love this little orphan Porsche, which became so much a threat to the 911 that production of the 914/6 was halted in '72. At Le Mans in 1970, 914/6's won the 2 L class, soundly defeating their sister 911s. I think it was at Spa that year that they went 1, 2, 3 in class. Contributing to Porsche's decision to stop 914/6 production was the fact that a 914 with the flat 6 was approaching the cost of a 911. Today 914/6s are hard to come by, regardless of condition. I know of one that was sold by its original owner to a local Porsche mechanic who restored the car, updated the engine to twin plug with larger displacement, and then resold the car for over $70,000. That car had no race history, so it's value was not increased by that.

I also picked up this slot car from a local shop and began modifying it for a GT class. A Pirhana motor fit nicely and I switched to Brass bearings and Slot.it axłe and gear. I used CB Design 15" insert wheels with Quick Slicks and was able to run wider rear tires due to the 914 GT flares. I plan to turn down the SRC wheels and use them as inserts. Presently I'm stuck at modifying the front guide. It doesn't allow the flag to drop very deeply into the slot. Once the guide situation is corrected and the chassis is weight balanced, it should be a sweet runner.

Maybe we can convince the design team at CG to produce a 3D printed chassis. I hear that they're not very busy these days.

I'm not home for a few days or I'd post pics of my mods.

Thanks again. Enjoyed seeing yours.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for the bit of history Bob! I Those mod's on your model sound great. Looking forward to checking it out.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dreinecke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Must...resist...must...

Nice review. Mike B. has been trying to suck me into one of these and I'm finding it harder to say no. I grew up in Germany and a neighbor had the Deere green version down the street. I loved that car.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:55 am

NIce review, Jeff. And..........nice little Porsche racer, there! Looking forward to seeing it on the track..........soon!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:53 am

Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks Harry. Hey Matt, how about 2 chassis, a Mountain Dew, and a gum ball and you got a deal! I think my medication is getting to me.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby VenturaAlfa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Here are two great 914's

the white one is mine when I first bought it. This was the shakedown at Buttonwillow in California. Body is carbon fiber other than the targa bar and windshield. Mostly tube frame. 12 inch Goodyear cantilever slicks on 8 inch fuchs rims.Won G Production with it. I changed the paint and the number after this; had to be 54.

The second is one of the most famous 914's. It belonged to Robert Kirby. He passed away while leading in F Production points. his widow and friends shipped it to Raetech who rebuilt it completely prior to the runoffs. Mark Hotchkiss drove it and won the race with a last lap pass. The car has been retired since that time. The car is shown in its F prod Trim. You can see it on the Raetech website.

and finally for Harry and all you roundy roundy guys, another 54.
Last edited by VenturaAlfa on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:47 am

A 914 is on the hit list, 1:32 and 1:1. They are neat, fun, well-balanced cars. Very affordable right now, too.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby ListerStormGT » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks for the review Jeff,
I really love this car and its one on my must have list. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to make one of these with the history of them. I know there were some resin versions out there but glad to see SRC produced these.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:01 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale