[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - A question about after market tires

A question about after market tires

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

A question about after market tires

Postby Mayberryman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:49 pm

I am aware of the different types of tires, Rubber, Silicone and Urethane and understand the different pros and cons of each type. Now comes my problem, I went to the seller of new and used slot car parts in the area and I took a couple of laps around his oval which has a slick surface. I drove one of his pioneer cars and it stuck like glue. I found that this car was equipped with Jel Claw tires. I asked him if these were silicone as we are not allowed silicone in either club that I run. I was assured that Jel Claws might act like silicone but were not silicone and they would be legal in any club that had a no silicone rule.

It is not that I do not trust this person but I want to get the opinion of others, perhaps the maker of Jel Claws to confirm or deny the silicone belief that I have about these tires.

Thanking you in advance.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: A question about after market tires

Postby gascarnut » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:01 pm

Two minutes on Google:

http://www.innovativehobbysupply.com/sl ... tires.html

"Jel Claws slot car tires are not made out of silicone or urethane.

They are manufactured from a special, proprietary formulation of synthetic rubber. The result is a tire that really grips the track - and won't let go! Our special Jel compound will absorb track vibration, and has enough grip to help each racer achieve lower lap times."

I have used Jel Claws in the past and while they do grip well, they are difficult to true without overheating.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Just read the site which states not silicone , and not urethane, but a specially formulated synthesized rubber. I have no idea how it would affect other types of tires, and of course not being either sillies or urethane , wouldnt qualify for strict tire classes. I have to admit the site was interesting to look through.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Never worked well for my tracks. And the difficulty of sanding to fit my applications made them even less desirable.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Im ok with what I have now, and I sure couldnt imagine replacing all my urethanes , I would need a mortgage just for tires for toy cars.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:44 pm

I tried a set many years ago on my Ninco XK120 and they stuck so well they rolled right off the rim under hard cornering (with an NC-1)!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:01 pm

A few years back I hit a closeout on Jel Claws. Dozens of them, in all sizes and shapes. I never found a car that was improved by them, even after researching a glue to hold the greasy things on. The sizes are not accurate for the intended wheels, and with all the problems with them, I don't even remember whether they gripped well or not. I have always said I would make a tire barrier out of stacking them when I finally build that oval track.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Mayberryman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:32 am

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:30 am

Jel Claws are made of EDPM, which is used for car window seals. I have only tested Jel Claws on HO cars, I found that they initially had a lot of grip, but that quickly dropped off and that was not improved by cleaning the tires. Jel Claws may not have as much grip as urethane tires, I have only compared them directly to silicone tires. When I did my testing I first stripped the track down, then conditioned it by running a car with Jel Claws on it for 200 laps. I switched to fresh Jel Claws to determine the best lap times. I did not do any testing to see how the tires would work on a dusty track.
It would not be a bad idea to buy a few pairs of tires and give them a spin.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale