[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Carrera 1/32 Ferrari 365 P2 Sneak Peek

New Carrera 1/32 Ferrari 365 P2 Sneak Peek

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: New Carrera 1/32 Ferrari 365 P2 Sneak Peek

Postby gascarnut » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Here's a scan from a book I have:

The 330P4 blue/green shown is also not what I remember as tha color of that car when I saw it race in 1967 and 1968:

Regardless, the P2 looks great and I will probably get one for the nostalgia of those old days at Kyalami.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Did I mention I love that Red NART 365.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:29 pm

I'll be getting the red one.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Dennis,

Seems you have the book "Sunset on Kyalami" as well. I too recall those years and yes: the green is what is stuck in my memory as well. I found one other photograph of the P2 at Killarney (in a book "50 Golden Racing Years: Killarney 1960 to 2010") but unfortunately that one is black & white.

Unlike you who seem to have hung out at Kyalami, my own race track stomping ground was Killarney. Good times....

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:21 am

So whether it's the way anyone remembers or not one thing needs to be made perfectly clear. The design director talked directly with David Piper about the color/car the first time we'd done a 1/24 slot car. He personally approved the car.

On a sort of related note that I think will help. I helped get the Sal Tovella car done a few years ago. We had several photos showing different colors of cars. I sent him 2 samples of the car with slightly different colors. One darker and one lighter (and slightly more reddish) he told us he wasn't sure exactly which color it was and I asked him then which he liked better. He gave me his opinion and which he'd like to see... sometimes that's how these things get decided.
I'm now working with a stock car driver to get approvals on a car we are doing. We sent him a file showing the colors and placement of logos and he approved it.
If we're able we get the help of the people who actually drove/owned the car to get things correct. Sometimes what happens is they like the suggestion we've done and we go with that often times changes are made. But once that person has approved it... it's done... as that person approved it.
The longer i'm in the business the more I see there's little that's not a shade of gray.
I too saw the car as a bit "blue" and I asked "Slottus" about it... he mentioned to me that the man himself had personally approved the previous 330 we'd done as it was done. That's enough for me. If you're working with someone who actually owned the car or drove the car and you ask their opinion you'd better be ready to follow their suggestion about what they want to see on the car.

Also since everything we make is a licensed car, and this fully licensed Ferrari is no different, it was signed off on by the company itself. We don't do these cars in a vacuum. There is months of discussion and approvals from more people than you could imagine.

This is the reality of the situation.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:10 pm

Thank you Dave for that clarification, I hope that helps everyone understand the time and effort Carrera puts into these beautiful cars.
I for one certainly appreciate the time and detail your team puts in.

thank you!
Mike
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:26 pm

As I've said before you have the best job, picture taking talking cars and hanging with people who like toy cars both big and small
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slottus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:01 am

Slottus
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:38 am

Trust me there are moments in this job....
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby gascarnut » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 am

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:25 am

I'll have at least one of each! Glad Carrera brought these to market.
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:11 am

I would like to not talk about the Piper car, focusing instead on the NART entry.

All the case states of the car is that it is "North American Racing Team, 'No.18'" yet does not specify which race it is modeled to represent. Accord to N.A.R.T. A concise history of the North American Racing Team 1957 to 1983, a 365 P2 only ran sporting the number 18 twice, both times at Le Mans. The release by Carrera represents the 1965 entry driven by Pedro Rodriguez and Nino Vaccarella which finished in 7th position.

The car returned to Le Mans in 1966 wearing number 18, but this time painted white and rebodied as a long-tail, which lead to the nickname of White Elephant. Masten Gregory and Bob Bondurant gave it a good run, but the car failed to finish.

This probably doesn't matter to most, but I'm the kind of guy who buys a toy car and then goes thumbing through his library in search of information on it. I can't figure out why Carrera did not just say "Le Mans 1965" on the case. Licensing maybe? :think:
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:55 am

Yes I'm told that's the issue. LeMans is a licensed brand (and if you do pay licensing and we do) you have to pay to use that brand or risk law suits.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby masmojo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:10 am

I think sometimes we as obsessive hobbyist sweat the color more then they did back in the day. Truth is there is more then one "Ferrari" red, BRG, Etc.. Today we have computer controlled color matching, things weren't nearly so precise 50 years ago! The iconic "petty" blue was originally "just a mix of a light blue and a dark blue they had in the shop" (Paraphrasing a quote from Richard in an interview.) or purely accidental so nearly impossible to match.

No doubt Piper Green was no more concise in specification.

Looks fine to me! So glad to see Carrera doing more 50's Ferrari's in 1/32, these will be my first new 1/32 cars in several years!
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:53 pm

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale