[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - NSR presents Tourist Trophy 2019

NSR presents Tourist Trophy 2019

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Tourist Trophy 2019

Postby ken weir » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks for putting this together TTT. I know you have been working on this since September. It will be a challenge for use in Kelowna since we don't run a NSR class in our races. Except in our open class that is. "I don't need Rob correcting that statement".
ken weir

Any activity and/or progress out there?

Postby SuperSlab » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:45 pm

I was wondering if people have made any progress on planning for the event? Or (heaven forbid!) actually preparing for the event!

Out here on the Wet Coast, we have absolutely firmly undertaken to put together a plan to start planning to do stuff.

Soon.

Well, soon-ish.

Well, whenever.

But it looks like we actually HAVE decided on a team. So that is good. But our master plan to again employ our secret weapon from last year, i.e. having F1Fan Chris prepare the car, has gang agley (as Rabbie Burns so eloquently put it). Chris has asked to take a sabbatical, so now it is left to some mere mortal to try and prepare a semi-competent car for the event. So far it looks like that mortal will be me.

Hoo boy, we are SO doomed!

But let's put a brave face on it. We have started testing different models set up to generally conform to the rules against each other to see which car we should be using. We really have not found the answer. But we do believe we are beginning to understand the questions. And on the positive side, so far I can confidently state that we are now confused at a much higher level than we were when we started the exercise. But that is about it. And how valid our ultimate choice can be when our local tracks are obviously very different to the event tracks is open to question.

But hey: you have got to start SOMEWHERE! And tuning and running cars is always a fun activity. And doing SOMETHING seems better than doing nothing and it makes us feel productive.

Yeah right.

The good news is that this event has given me an excuse to buy one more slot car (like I need more slot cars....)

The other surprise is that it seems that, with a bit of TLC, one can get the NSR Classic cars to go almost as quick with urethanes as with NSR Ultragrips. Well, it obviously helps if the person tuning the car with the Ultragrips (me) is incompetent so you are starting from a poor base. But still. Nice to have nowhere else to go than up.

I am still trying to make friends with NSR Air wheels. At the beginning of this exercise I started out being extremely suspicious of them: historically I have normally changed them out for "good" wheels. Now after some time spent with them I can happily report that I have gained some familiarity with them. And that I still distrust them But at least everybody would have to deal with the same suspect things.

And that is about it. What says everybody else?

Alwyn & team.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm

I’m late to the game as always...we are “planning to plan” here in Calgary as they say.

I’ve done some research to see what people think are the better / best runners. I’ve heard many put a vote forward for the latest 908/3’s. Although have you ever noticed whatever is the latest car, everyone seems to gravitate towards? I’ve also heard votes for the MkIV, P68 and yes even the GT40. No real support for the 917k though.

I’ve run all of these. And quite frankly I’m confused or maybe overburdened with choice, not necessarily a bad thing mind you!

My track record holder was a P68 for a long time. One of our club members had a Ford MkIV that was a beast. I used to have a GT40 which was the track record holder at one of our club tracks.

I’ve had a 908/3 for nearly a year; tuned it and refined it- but it hasn’t been as quick - and that’s on a short course! So who knows which is best, or if there’s really a “best”.

I’m tempted to just go with a 917k just because I love that car’s shape. The 917k is what drew me back into the hobby. And I’d forever regret finishing in last again if I didn’t at least run I car I love! I have a custom livery from a real race that’s never been released by any manufacturer that I’m leaning towards to be different ........ at this point.

The good thing is there still some time to change my mind!

Meanwhile we’re still figuring out who form the RMR race crew. My 13 yr old son will likely team up with me this time, so that will be fun to run a race like this with him.
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Oh, and on the NSR air wheels - agree.

My experience is that it’s like a long standing marriage, mostly manageable but finicky at times! :roll:
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:35 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Baking like Betty Crocker? :naughty:

For what it’s worth, the plastic in the NSR chassis seems softer to me than say a Slot.it. I recall some years ago reading that a little more care may be required for flattening a NSR (i.e., cooler temps and cooler water to start).

I’ve baked just a few NSR chassis, not the 908/3 I have though. I kept the oven cooler 175F, and I had the chassis already submerged in hot (not boiling water) ready to go so as soon as the oven hit it’s preheat, I turned it off right away. The chassis seemed to come out ok.

I did leave the chassis in the oven for about 15 hrs; so lots of cooling time, which I’ve learned you can’t rush...for what it’s worth s hope that helps or maybe Dariusz will wade in with some advice?
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

And I’ll add that baking here in Calgary, in lower....almost desert-like humidity....and at altitude may vary results. I know it certainly does when I’m failing at baking!
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add when I baked my NSR chassis in the past, I did so without the pod being screwed in. I have read that if the pod is screwed in improperly it could cause some warping...so I just bake the bare chassis...
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 pm

I have baked a few nsr chassis and they always seemed softer. There were flat but noticeably softer.

We used heat gun and twisting/mechanical method of adjusting in the past with better result. Use wide gorilla tape when taping pod. Nsr has some problems with there chassis and pods. Not a big fan of those.

Regards
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:05 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 am

This chassis is still useful. Glue 2 pices of piano wire 0.055 on both sides of the chassis along pod. Won't be legal for tourist trophy but you can still enjoy driving it afterwards. It may actually impress you.

Regards
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks Dariusz: that sounds like a good idea!
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi again Alwyn,

As Dariusz has said you can mechanically/physically shape it. I’d did some research last night and it’s seems some folks have had luck reversing what’s you’ve encountered with affixing magnets down on it and leaving it to sit and reform on its own for a week. Maybe try that as a last resort?

Hope that helps!
Tom
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale