Repaint questions

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Repaint questions

Postby slothead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:32 pm

I posted before that I wanted to use this Scalextric RTR Camaro
to create this actual SCCA Trans Am livery

I've only repainted one other RTR car and I just put a new coat of paint over the existing livery. That's what I'm inclined to do with this repaint but thought I'd ask what others would do. Is there a reason to strip the current livery off down to bare plastic and start there? What about a primer coat - needed or not if I just cover what's already there?

I also have a plain white Scalextric 1970 Camaro I want to use to create this livery.

Both of the new liveries are as simple as could be, one color body with a few simple numbers added. I have or will find stick on numbers at a craft store for decals.

My default paint for slot car stuff has been Krylon spray paint from Walmart. I already have a large assortment of mostly full large spray cans on hand, but it seems Tamiya is the preferred paint by folks into modeling. I looked up the Tamiya paints I'd use if I had a source for them - TS-8 Italian red 85008 and TS-17 Gloss Aluminum 85017. Since the nearest hobby shop is 90 miles away, what is an online source for Tamiya paints?

Any and all input appreciated.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Repaint questions

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Regarding the overpainting of the 78 car without stripping the old paint first you will most likely be able to see the outlines of the numbers and edges of the color break. That 78 car was famous as the highest finishing non Porsche at Sebring in 1977 finishing 9th beating the highest finishing corvette by one lap and 38 laps behind the winning Porsche.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:08 am

I have had good luck with simply shooting a coat of primer over a body that has not been stripped. When I shoot the finish coat none of the lines from the original paint can be seen. Possibly the details of the body, like shut lines and louvers will be somewhat obscured.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:01 am

Bob - if you don't have one of the # 78's in your collection and would like one, it's yours. After buying it I decided to limit my Trans Am field to cars that competed in SCCA sanctioned Trans Am series races between '66 and '72. It's a sharp looking car and I managed to get it running quite well.

Let me know if you want it and I'll send it to you - postage on me. I'll use a Snaptite Camaro body as the base for the #15.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby REL13 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:59 am

Harry tells you how to remove paint in the paint booth forum. REL13
Last edited by REL13 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:27 am

Hello all , I was able to get a few of the Monogram Vettes and Cobras on eBay , a few of them were doubles those I stripped them down to repaint them . Also have doubles of the Monogram Cobras that I plan on repainting . For me , it is more about how to make them look different than any other one in the market . I do plan on painting them as close as I can with how they looked back in the day , but I also plan on giving them different color schemes . All I know is this is a hobby , the sky is the limit for our hobby .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Fathead - one of the best things about home racing, and HRW, is it's all 'have it your way'. From drag racing to hill climbs, it's fun to see what others are doing and how they express themselves.

On the oval I build most of my own cars to resemble and honor dirt track racers I watched over the decades. Top runners from the 60's and 70's run against current day champions. On the road course I have 3 classes of cars, Trans Am, Le Mans, and Can Am. I use RTR cars that raced between 1966 and 1975 and each has a driver who actually raced it in a sanctioned race listed on the roster. Once again, what makes it fun for me is to recreate races from the 'golden era' of these series.

On a different note, whenever I see the name fathead I'm reminded of Jean Shepherd, creator of the infamous 'A Christmas Story' movie. He was on radio for decades and often called his listeners fatheads. I listened to his show every night and have since downloaded most of what's available online. So yes, I'm a fathead too.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm

The #78 Scalextric Camaro is on it's way to live with Modlerbob so I need a new body to create the #15 Trans Am car. First choice is a Snaptite Camaro body mounted on an SCX NASCAR chassis I was using as a Marty Stanley tribute car on my oval. (Almost all of the cars in my Muscle Car Stocks series are tributes to friends, slot car guys, or famous drivers I rooted for - such as Tim Richmond and Benny Parsons.)

It wasn't till I searched old posts on HRW that I remembered Marty and Bob used to be racing buddies and saw the Ford GT40 Audi1 finished for Marty when he got sick. That car was later auctioned off in his honor.

My gift to Bob means I'll be doing a replacement tribute car for Marty too. For the body I have both Snaptite and Scalextric '69 Mustangs, which will work fine given the Ford GT40 was his last proxy car.

I'm tempted to go with a bright yellow #8 so the Mustang is a sibling to the GT40. But while I knew Marty from HRW and exchanged posts with him, I never met him and don't know if he had a preferred color scheme or livery style. If anyone has ideas on a livery that will be a fitting tribute to Marty let me know and I'll try to do it.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale