[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - NSR GT Cars hitting the tire wall at Woodland Trace Raceway

NSR GT Cars hitting the tire wall at Woodland Trace Raceway

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

NSR GT Cars hitting the tire wall at Woodland Trace Raceway

Postby Fast Co. » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Last edited by Fast Co. on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: NSR Cars hitting the tire wall at Woodland Trace Raceway

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:54 pm

Looks like it is a pretty effective barrier!
(watching the frame by frame, I was surprised how much the wall behind the tires moved as well!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Re: NSR Cars hitting the tire wall at Woodland Trace Raceway

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 pm

I am enjoying these....I have often thought that slow-mo video could be a very useful tuning tool....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: NSR GT Cars hitting the tire wall at Woodland Trace Race

Postby williamg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 am

Great video, thank you for sharing
williamg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:00 am

I watched the video at 25% speed and also saw how much the wall behind the tires helped absorb the impact. The tires and wall worked well together.

Another way to limit damage from impacts is to eliminate perpendicular surfaces from where cars are likely to make contact. After a few cars broke guides or damaged their bodies hitting the boards at the end of the table on my oval I added curved walls around the corners. Now, no matter where a car deslots if it hits a wall it's a glancing blow and the car slides along the wall.

A sand trap area might be the best way to stop a car that's off the track, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet without making an unmanageable mess.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fast Co. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:37 am

The wall behind the tire wall is masonite. Very hard material. I intentionally used few screws to attach it to the table to give it some flex. Even so, before I put up the tire wall the cars were hitting the wall with a loud crack. None sustained any serious damage, but the tire walls are very effective in dampening the blow. The green Aston Martin that hit the wall in this photo was intentionally driven hard in the yellow lane by Mark so that we could record the impact in slow motion.

Slothead - I thought of using various materials to create an effective sand trap too. Any loose material would be a mess. Maybe a durable, high density foam surface? That would require much more drive-off than I have available in this tight space.
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:44 am

That is neat to watch!
dge467
The King of Foil

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale