[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - stainless steel axle magnetism

stainless steel axle magnetism

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

stainless steel axle magnetism

Postby GT6 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:39 am

Does anyone have a Slotting Plus stainless steel axle that they can test for magnetic properties. When you hold a magnet up to it is there:
a) no attraction
b) weak attraction, say 10 to 20% of what you'd feel with a normal steel axle
c) about half the attraction of regular steel
d) fairly strong attraction but still less than normal steel
e) same as normal steel

thanks
Scott
GT6

Re: stainless steel axle magnetism

Postby F1Fan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 am

Scott, Alwyn recently did this experiment, I recall the Sloting plus SS was magnetic, but their titanium was not.

I am sure he will provide more details.
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:02 am

I expect this query has the same root cause that I had for searching out non-magnetic axles: the huge magnetic effect of the new 25K ball bearing Piranha motor. Because I did not have the answer either I ordered some Sloting Plus (reputedly!) stainless steel axles and titanium axles.

The bad news: if the axles are indeed stainless steel they are some odd alloy as they are definitely magnetic.
The good news: the titanium axles are completely non-magnetic.
The other good news: the Sloting Plus titanium axles are reasonably available... at a (more bad news) pretty steep price!

One further concern is that, depending on which titanium alloy they use (I have no clue which!), titanium might not be as strong as normal steel axles. However, I am not sure if the difference is sufficient to be a problem. I suspect not.

Cheers

Alwyn

EDIT:
1. FWIW: I was writing my post when Chris posted.
2. As to the degree of magnetism: I might be insensitive but subjectively I can feel no difference in attraction between the SS axles and regular Slot.it mild steel axles.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 am

The Titanium will likely be much more brittle, even the though they are technically stronger. A lot of the strength of steel comes from its ability to bend some and absorb shock, once you exceed the limit on a titanium part it usually fractures. There are lots of magnetic stainless steels out there, most of them cheaper than the non-magnetic 304 and 321.

I think I am just going to switch motors myself. The magnetic affect is just staggering on that thing!

Zack
wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks Alwyn and Chris. You are correct about the reason for the inquiry. I would have preferred using stainless steel to titanium as the Ti axles are complete terra incognita. Was afraid when I saw the "hardened" description of the Slotting Plus SS axles that it meant they were a high carbon type of stainless (more like regular steel - the more common austenitic stainless isn't hardenable) and that does appear to be the case. Ah well, into the unknown, bring on the titanium axles.

cheers
Scott
GT6

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:51 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 am

What is the effect on the Piranha Motor? Does the axle magnetism slow the motor down or does the motor slow the axle speed down? Since most proxies are run on none magnetic tracks what affect is the magnetic field from the motor causing? Since I'll be testing on Scaley Sport this would mean my test results would be greatly effected if this motor helps hold the car to the track in the turns.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:32 pm

wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:46 pm

GT6

Postby F1Fan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Out of curiosity, did any of you watch the video I recently did with the Group 5 cars and the body off? In particular Smoke's car #70 with the Piranha 25k motor?
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:59 pm

GT6

Postby Brumos RSR » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:18 am

Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 am

A note regarding titanium (or other non-magnetic) axles: here's something I found that is only mentioned on the Slotting Plus website and not on any of the other sellers' sites. Only the solid titanium axle with the gold titanium nitride coating is suitable for use with bushing type bearings. The non-coated titanium axles and carbon fiber axles can only be used with ball bearings. Reason being that only the coated Ti provides a hard, wear resistant bearing surface; carbon fiber and non-coated Ti will wear quickly if used with bushings. Also note that what are listed on some sites as "hollow titanium axles" are in fact hollow stainless steel axles with a titanium nitride coating (for better wear resistance) and are magnetically attracted to the SCC 25K motor.

cheers
Scott
Last edited by GT6 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT6

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale