Installing Pioneer deep wood track guide

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Installing Pioneer deep wood track guide

Postby slothead » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:13 am

I have the Pioneer Charger chassis that was available to use with the newly released '70 Cyclone bodies. The chassis comes with the deep wood track guide installed, but it's loose and has nothing on the guide flag post to hold it in place other than the wires from the motor.

To anyone who's installed the deep wood track guide included with Pioneer cars - how is it stabilized and held in place?
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Installing Pioneer deep wood track guide

Postby JULES » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:42 am

Joe, I'm aware of this issue and it is being fixed.

For now, here is the quick fix:-

Leave the guide in place and insert a flat blade screwdriver into the stem slot just above the guide mounting. Twist the driver blade to 'swell' the stalk (distort the plastic) until you get a fit that suits you.

I have just tested this and it works.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:42 am

I used an M2 set screw (like for Slot.it wheels/gears) and inserted into the guide shaft. This spreads it out and is secure.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Dogsbody » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 am

A rubber o-ring works as well but this probably isn't going to be much of an issue as you think since you have the weight of the car holding it down.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Jules, Harry, and Dogsbody - I really appreciate the feedback. Made me think this would be an easy fix if I just tried things. I needed a way to stabilize the guide post in the holder area to remove slop, and a way to keep it from floating up and down.

After a little trial and error I ended up putting one wind of a twist tie around the guide post and shoving it down into the holder with my smallest screwdriver. This got rid of the slop and when I applied SCC lubricant the guide still rotated freely. Now I needed something to expand the opening in the guide post to prevent the guide from sagging. I've saved many wood coffee stirrers over the years for use in hobby scenery projects and was able to cut the end off one and shape it to fit as needed. Problem solved!

When testing the chassis on the oval it ran well. But, at times when the rear end swung way out in a turn the guide would 'catch' and the car couldn't easily straighten itself out. After filing the sides of the guide it was better. Then I realized that with the body on the car the guide will never be able to rotate to the maximum amount because the rear will hit the outer wall before it does. When working on the 2nd Charger chassis I'll file the guide and holder area down before installing the fixes.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale