[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Sideways Daytona Prototype

Sideways Daytona Prototype

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Postby War Eagle River » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Piranha 21.5k
Sideways Motorpod
11/28 AW Gears
CG Motor Adaptor, CGMA001
War Eagle River
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Sideways Daytona Prototype

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:36 am

I have not done this conversion on any of the inlines.

I want to. From what you say, this is the hot setup. I like seeing the standard can motor.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby War Eagle River » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 am

War Eagle River
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 am

The Racer/Sideways Daytona Prototype is a great running car. Mine are all set up with sidewinder pods. I want to try one set up like this one. As far as motor pod float, I tighten down the screws on my motor pods and still use a piece of tape on the bottom to limit or dampen movement. All my movement is in the body and I like to use a little rubber washer between the body and chassis both front and rear. I like to use roll-out ratio for gearing. For those that don't know, roll out ratio takes into account the rear tire diameter. You must also take into account total weight of the car and weight distribution. I like a 65% rear and 35% front distribution.

The formula I use to figure out roll out ratio is "Tire diameter x Pi (3.14159) divided by teeth in spur x teeth in pinion.

The best running Group 5 car I have on my track has a roll out ratio of 1.06185742 . It has .806 diameter rear tires with a 13/31 gear ratio. So if I went to a .770 diameter tire I'd want to drop to a 13/30 gear ratio which would give me a roll out ratio of 1.0482433 which is close. A .770 tire with a 13/31 gear ratio is a 1.014429 .
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mether05 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 am

Never heard of this "Roll Out" formula, what magic number are you looking to arrive at? 1.00???? Or is it end result related, in other words you're trying to get close to a known good ratio on your track, the 1.06...? ("The best running Group 5 car I have on my track has a roll out ratio of 1.06185742")

Just curious! Thanks, BobM <><
mether05
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:23 am

I'm also interested in this rollout. My question is what are the 4 screws for just forward of the pod and behind the front axle? I've never built or seen a prototype opened up before.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GTOking » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 am

GTOking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:52 am

mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:00 am

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby War Eagle River » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Pappy, not sure how the rollout formula would pertain to slot cars. Still too many variables to consider, even if you think the you have the optimum gear ratio. Weight, voltage, controllers, track surfaces, etc, and the biggie...the driver. It might translate in real race cars, but then they also have to consider many variables as well.
War Eagle River
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:58 pm

I agree, to many variables to say roll out ratio is the secret to speed. It's like people who say a car doesn't handle well unless it's at least a 110 grams. Where that 110 grams is, is as important as being 110 grams. It's just another thing to look at when comparing cars and making gear ratio changes.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 am

War Eagle,

Here's where roll out ratio could be of use. Let's say I want to go to a different offset motor pod than the one I'm currently using. If I lower the chassis to much and it's illegal and I have to use a larger diameter tire I could figure out the gear ratio to get the same roll out ratio that I had. Same goes if I raise the chassis because I want to use a smaller diameter tire, I can figure out the gear ratio to compensate for the smaller diameter tires. It does come in handy at times.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MacMoose » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 pm

The large number of variables present is not a reason to discount any one of them. A large number of very small gains can amount to a substantial improvement. The "rollout" is the only true means of comparing gear ratios. If you alter rear tire size you alter the distance traveled per axle revolution and, by obvious connection, motor shaft revolution. On extremely short tracks the difference can be quite small, but it is there and measurable. On the tracks I race on (between 70 and 150 feet in length, non-magnet) the differences are marked. The rollout is a necessary calculation.
MacMoose

Postby Pappy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:58 pm

1/10 of a second a lap doesn't sound like much but in a race where everything else is equal it's a lot. In a Retro race on a 155' King track they are turning laps in the 4.6, 4.7 seconds a lap range. If someone has a car that is capable of turning a 4.7 second lap and they did that for 24 minutes (3 minutes per lane x 8 lanes) they'd turn 306.38 laps. If I had a car that could only turn a 4.8 second lap and I did it for 24 minutes I only have 300 laps. So a 1/10 of a second with everything else being equal I would be spotting the other guy 6.38 laps on a 155' track before the race even begins. That's hard to make up.

In a 6 hour endurance race it's really a lot and in a 24 hour race, forget it. Any little thing you can do to pick up a 1/100 of a second helps.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby War Eagle River » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 pm

Roll out....Way to technical for the average home circuit racer. Still comes down to the racer having to tune the car to his own driving abilities, and then being able to drive it.
War Eagle River
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale