[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - NSR Shark 28K motor

NSR Shark 28K motor

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

NSR Shark 28K motor

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Question for the experts: is the "new" NSR Shark 28K motor in essence just an old 25K Shark with a new can and wrapper? Reason for asking: the NSR Shark cans are typically just that bit wider than Slot.it motors, so when you use one in a Slot.it sidewinder pod, the axle is right up against the motor. So you have two options: use a reduced diameter Slot.it axle or create clearance by removing part of the wrapper and, if required, lightly grinding the outside of the can closest to the axle. I have recently started doubting the strength and straightness of reduced diameter Slot.it axles so, in preparing a sidewinder pod to test for the upcoming GT3 proxy, i removed part of the wrapper on a brand new 28K Shark motor to expose.... 25,000 etched on the can!

Even before this I was wondering if the 28K designation was due to a revised motor (over and above the much appreciated fixing holes in the can) or an admission of an inaccuracy in the nominal rating of the motor. This now tends to support the rating option.

Anybody have any insights?

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: NSR Shark 28K motor

Postby Aloha » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Alwyn
I had highlighted that previously as well as i had removed the wrapper. I ran my new 28K motor with a digital tach and it was running at 27,5K at 12 volts. I guess the only way we are going to know is if NSR comments or we start taking motors apart to measure ohms and switching cans, not something I would like to entertain.
I like the idea of being able to easily screw in screws to anchor motor to pod. Motor is smooth, but not significantly more powerful than NSR 25K.
While on the subject i just ordered and received a NSR 32K motor but have not pulled off wrapper. Did test for RPM and it measured at 31,3K. Out comes the Xacto tonight.
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am

NSR switched suppliers maybe 2 years ago (could be 3 - I lose track of time easily..)..... I bought the old suppliers remaining stock of 20k motors... NSR owned the tooling to make the motors - and they took it with them.
The previous supplier had the 20k motor rated at 16k and the 22k was actually 18.5k.... The 30k was 25.5k etc
How they test and document these things compared to how they perform is anybody's guess - and I really don't want to learn about it THAT much.... 2+2=6 when you are talking about motor specs with the actual manufacturer- so it's a good thing the labels are more accurate now... Maybe they think it's a selling advantage to spec something 18k when it actually turns 22k.

There was a point 4-5-6 years ago where the brand labels became more accurate as to what the motor will spin. Everyone had an 18k motor 10 years ago - but they were all over the map for rpms.
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Dang, I thought going up to 25K would put me in the hunt. Guess I better rethink my motor choice.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MacMoose » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:27 am

Yes, the 28k can is etched '25000' under the label, but in a different and more legible text. That seems to indicate a different source(?) There are other differences as well. My bench measurements indicate that the two I have both turn in excess of 29k at 12v. My older 25k motors avg a bit above 26k. It also appears that the magnets in the new motor measure approximately 25% greater field strength. This could be caused by different magnets or by the properties and dimensions of the can. In any event, the 28k motors are performing (for me) at a considerably higher level than the 25k's, and if the magnets are heftier, I expect the wind to be fewer turns, bigger wire, or both.

I'm not inclined to take one apart as yet so anything more concrete will have to wait. BTW, my lone, well broken in 30k motor has magnets similar to the 25k and revs to 33.6k.

And I also proclaim a loud "well done" to NSR for the can screw holes. :text-thankyouyellow:
MacMoose

Postby Giddyup » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Some addition like insight FWIW...according to a recent conversation with NSR, he has informed me the casing markings were a mistake. I do wonder if they were just using up old stock of the casings...

I did ask as well about the motors whether or not they were simply rebranded from 25k to 28k, because as we’d know their versions in the past have over performed their stated spec for RPMs @ 12v. He said these are entirely new motors.

I need any case some more info for us straight from the source.
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Aloha » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:37 pm

By the way the new 32K motor has 30000 marked on the can and tested out to 31,200 rpm. Smooth running motor. Agree great to see the motor mount screw hoes in place.
Thank you NSR.
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Being as they're 'new' motors and higher revving do they have a shorter stack on the armature than the old ones?
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:37 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:10 am

I have a question.

What kind of car and what kind of track are you using a 32,000rpm motor in and on?
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kevan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:13 am

F1, Allslot car, 14mm ultragrips, wood track,
Kevan

Postby arroldn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:19 am

Just look at the spec page for the Group 5 Proxy. A lot of 30K powered cars. That is one of many reasons my car was a bottom feeder with a 26K motor.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale