[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Breakout Racing

Breakout Racing

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Breakout Racing

Postby mattb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 pm

I was told the reason for the breakout rule was to keep guys from cheating up their cars. I suggested you do like lots of real race tracks and have a claiming rule. Let the last place guy buy the first place guys chassis for a set price. That is a good way to keep things level.

Watching a computer screen is not racing by any stretch of the imagination.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby docdoom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 pm

here what we use at our local club. I have not seen it in forced in my time with club. but it is there in case we have a issue. must of the guys will help new guys and also the old timers get there cars up to race pace. speed secrets are openly shared. it all about the close racing and fun.
In the event a racer wins more than one race with the same car (thus establishing a pattern of dominance in any class) a vote may be taken of the racers in attendance to determine if the racer will be assessed a handicap (of 1 lap or more) for future races when racing that particular winning car. The handicap only applies to the winning car/driver combination. The racer can de-tune the car with a substantial motor downgrade, or switch to another car to avoid the handicap.
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:48 am

good solution doc
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 am

All good suggestions guys... throw in the monkey wrench if you must! :>)
Enjoy the racing. -- Ernie :>)

*** On a personal note... I'm not a fan of having to sell my motor and/or entire car after building it up, sorting it out and figuring the best tires, gears, ect.
The price had better be worth all the parts, labor, and knowledge put in.
At the same time, I have no problem helping someone select the same components and assemble their own car, of course. -- E
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:12 pm

You keep the body, and maybe the tires, you sell the motor and chassis. If it is legal in your racing, it should be easy for you to copy it and build the same car again. The price has to cover more than the costs. It can't be a give away program.
Last edited by mattb on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17 pm

BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm

When a bunch of guys used to race at a commercial track with rules to promote a class of mostly stock cars and competitive racing, we had a claiming rule. Motors were supposed to be stock, so you could claim the winning car's motor for $2 over what a new one cost. Same for the chassis. I can't remember if axles, wheels, etc. were included too. But if you won the week's race and someone claimed your motor, chassis, or both, you went home with all new parts and a few extra dollars. Winners got a gift certificate from the raceway too, so they always had a full parts bin to keep them in tires, braid, etc.

It would help a guy who hadn't learned how to break in a motor or tweak a chassis to become at least somewhat competitive while allowing the winners to show their skill at putting a new car together and at driving by still run up front with new equipment.

When a guy did claim someone else's car they'd ask if it was okay so as not to create any hard feelings. It worked out okay and it did keep guys honest because if you tuned your motor illegally it was likely to be in someone else's car in the future and you'd end up racing against your own work.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby crossovercrazy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:03 pm

I have raced breakout racing for many years at Bullitt Speedway, and raced at commercial tracks off and on since 1980, and I can say that it was the best thing to ever come to real slot car racing. In the decade+ since they have done it, they have kept very large fields of cars, high competition, satisfaction and no fights, and sustained interest. In the "all out" racing, the guys who spend the most money to buy the most motors to find the fastest ones, and the most expensive equipment will quickly ruin it for everyone else, not to mention the challenges of policing the cars adequately in tech. It also keeps the speed in control, which means less cars have serious wrecks that break cars, makes motors last longer, etc. Good, well run breakout racing can be the most competitive and fun to watch racing, and requires a whole other level of skill to get consistent laps (and let it hang out on the last partial lap!), and even snooker people to break out. It also allows people to run cars that aren't the most aerodynamic or low slung, but realistically mounted and cool cars (with full interiors) that people are in love with.

On my home tracks, I plan on running on low-grip plastic track with no aftermarket tires or magnets, thus the lack of traction means low voltage and throttle movement, and thus is self-policing, but if it reduces competition eventually I am more than prepared to invoke breakout racing (and even separate GT1 and GT2 breakouts for metal wheels vs. plastic, etc.) to keep it fun and competitive, and use a wide diversity of cars that aren't just designed for racing considerations.
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Just a final personal note on the claiming thing. The 1/24 cars we were running used (no longer available) stock sealed PARMA 16D Deathstar motors with 9T pinion gears. Yeah, I know, some people gotta twist the rules and cheat anyway, but I just couldn't be bothered. Making sure the motor brushes don't bind and proper break in is as far as I go. As for the HO racing I do, the inline cars are just about stock except for delrin rear wheels and slip on silicones only, your choice of pickup shoes. The Thunderjet cars we race are (unfortunately) AW chassis with a cheapie FRAY type setup, stock AW arm or replacement DASH arm. Again, I couldn't be bothered changing the arm, I do just fine as is.
I understand the claiming rule works good for some, and that's great, because the racing is still close and FUN! Ultimately, that's what is important. -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale