[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Tape over existing

Tape over existing

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Tape over existing

Postby Billy boy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Here’s another question. I’m getting breaks in my copper tape. I’m thinking of taping over the original tape. Am I just compounding the problem ? The space was previously not climate controlled but A/c has been installed and heat is next for winter.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Tape over existing

Postby slothead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:18 pm

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby frank9129 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:02 pm

I have had my track outside for years. It stays in my car port covered by a blue tarp.
I get the occasional break in the tape but it is not from weather. KIDS, they are rough on a track.
Three years ago I damaged the track and had to do a major repair. I scraped all the tape (original) gave the track a light sanding and refinished it. Once the paint was dry, after 3 days, I started laying the tape. Rather than using the standard copper tape I used guitar shielding. It is a little more expensive and has conductive adhesive.
Now when I get a break I repair it with a small piece of tape and burnish it good. That's it.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Over the years I have discovered the guitar shielding tape, too. When I build a new design Strat for my son (he does custom design guitar circuits for folks, I'm just the woodworker- some HRW folks will remember the custom Strat I made for myself from quilted maple and rosewood), the customer decides what the body wood and the neck wood will be, and I build it accordingly, including my son's fancy circuit. I line the pickup cavity, the underside of the pick guard, the tunnel to the pots and switches cavity, and the bridge pocket with that same copper shielding Frank is talking about. It is more expensive and thicker than the copper tape used on slot car tracks.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Billy boy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:00 pm

So I have so many repairs that I thought I’ll just go over it all with new tape. Anyone ever do this and how did it work out.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Clean the old braid good, alcohol or mineral spirits, let it dry good and you can probably tape right over it with no issues.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:31 pm

You can. Follow the cleaning tip.

But you will need to SOLDER at some point.

Watch the video.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale