[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Anybody a Minimalist Slot Car Collector

Anybody a Minimalist Slot Car Collector

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Anybody a Minimalist Slot Car Collector

Postby pgtr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:33 pm

We know from previous threads there are people with expansive collections of slot cars. This question is not geared towards them.

So what about the other extreme? Is there anybody who, due to constraints, or, by choice, maintains a smaller 'collection' of slot cars to run in their home? If you have what you consider to be a small collection and therefore have to be more careful in selecting what to collect/own - tell us about your 'small' collection. Perhaps most interesting: Tell us how you select some models and filter or pass on others.
pgtr

Re: Anybody a Minimalist Slot Car Collector

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Interesting question! I'm not exactly a minimalist...but heading that way. I've probably thinned over 100 cars in the past year. I try to focus only on stuff I really love now, not every livery of a car or of a make.

If it is Trans-Am, Can-Am, or vintage GP, I simply decide if I have one, do I need another? Do I need this livery? Can I drive 19 of the '69 Camaros that Scaley made? The answer is more often than not: NO!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Ember » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Aren't the terms collector and minimalist mutually exclusive?
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dr fabio » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Im so much of a minimilist that I have the largest collection of nothing in the southern hemisphere. :lol:

I guess I fit into this category. Since I "collect" cars to race them at club level then I will only collect a new car if I think it will outperform the current one I have. To al large extent livery doent come into it. In fact I will happily buy an unloved livery at a cheaper price if its a car I think will perofrm better than a current car I am using at club races.

cheers
Dr Fabio
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20 am

I used to collect EVERYTHING and went crazy trying to remember what I needed or what is more collectable the variations set ups ... get my drift???
So most of the collection(s) is being sold off just interested in Porsche 356's and 911's
resin bodies Ninco 356 but not the 935 dont like the suspension, MRRC 911 been getting into the 1/24 Scale Auto racing wow what a car!
To sum it up smaller is better for me!
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 am

The only minimising going on here is to my wallet. However I am more careful these days in what I buy I went through a face where the shining baubles were a bit hard to resist and as such I would buy multiple liveries of the same car (that's what collecting is after all) now I think more about classes and tend to only by 1 or 2 cars for that class to race against each other

DM
Last edited by Dangermouse on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby whitworthnut » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:52 am

whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby spaceshoes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 am

I mostly pay attention to IndyCar and NASCAR. I mostly race with some of my youth and with my 4 & 5 year old boys. My collection consists of Artin Stockers, most of which I've painted and decaled, as well as some SCX NASCAR's. I've also got some Scaley IndyCars. That's it for me. I'd love to expand to more (GT-40s are my all-time favorite cars), but I have a 4 lane track and don't have other adults coming over to bring their cars, so I feel the need to buy 4 cars at a time. With the clientele on my track, we run mostly the SCX cars and the Artin cars. Though most of the Artin tires are hard and need replaced. I'm hoping in a few more years me and my boys will be able to scratch build some cars and race them. Would be interesting to see what kinds of cars they'd like to see run.
spaceshoes

Postby whitworthnut » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks John. The cases are home made specifically for the slots. I made two, one for 1/32 and one for 1/24. Each has 12 shelves. The 1/32's are now all doubled up. Having difficulty keeping the collection to a minimum. My Alfa and Mercedes are both waiting for wheels from PST. An SSK, Aston Martin Ulster, Bugatti Atalante, Type 59 Bugatti and an MG Magnette are all awaiting there turn.
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 pm

I have one slot car, it's a Revell Trabant W/O magnet...... I hate slot cars....... JK :lol:

Our late friend, Bruce "Da Vols", always bought and sold cars just so he could enjoy them, then pass them on to others to enjoy. For the time I knew him, he never had shelf queens and always worked at getting a pair of "period cars" to run together.

As I mature, I hope to follow that path. After all, they're just toy cars.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 am

Greetings, very interesting topic. My collection of slot cars has pretty much started to center around sports cars from the 50s and early 60s or earlier when I can find them that I can build myself. All in 1/32. Over the past year or so I have been selling off most of the other cars that I have. Enjoyed them, but I found my interest was else where. That being said, staring across the workbench at me right now are a Genie, a Lotus, a McKee and a Cooper all waiting for parts so they can be built. So maybe those will be a sub collection. :roll: Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby dreinecke » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:14 am

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby FootScoot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am

Lately I've been trying to build or modify cars to look like something they weren't. Different bodywork, fantasy race liveries, etc.. It's fun but sometimes I get in too deep and get stalled. My biggest problem is I can do one thing, then get to thinking, well maybe I could do this to, so it gets to be like a bunch little projects inside of the main one. Phew! :) Minimalist? :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Czar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 am

First, we have no organized slot car racing here, so I buy cars that suit me without consideration of racing classes, etc. I used to have a pretty wide assortment of cars but have realized that I really don't like most of the modern cars that have been designed in the wind tunnel. So, I sold off most of my collection. I consider myself a minimalist because I only have five marques: Slot.it Alfa, and Ford GT; Fly Chevron and Lola T-70; Spirit BMW 2002. With these models (except the Lola) I have tried to acquire all of the liveries, but I am not too interested in casting my net wider. (I do also have a few older cars that I just won't part with)
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm

When my work schedule used to allow me to race with our group at the track in Ft Wayne on a more regular basis, I was buying/building cars to race in the various classes we did there. I have 60-70 cars but many were "one off" so I would have something to run in the classes there, for instance I only have one modern NASCAR, one modern "open wheel" (Scaley Dallara) and one 50s F1 (modded Strom 250F). My first love is 50s & 60s: sports cars, NASCAR, La Carrera, Trans Am..... There are some more "modern" cars I'm drawn to but it's more a case of an individual car like Fly C5s or Marcos'. Like Footscoot I'm into things that aren't what they were and fantasy liveries.... That lone modern NASCAR I have is a Scaley Taurus with the Fusion markings and is sponsored by "Strickland Propane of Arlen, Texas" driven by Jeff Boomhauer :shifty: Right now I'm trying to find one of the older Strom Porsche RSR bodies for a project: anyone remember reading the "Black Tiger" books? Once I'm able to put up the track again I'll be shooting for a 50s/60s vibe in the setting.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale