[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Anybody a Minimalist Slot Car Collector

Anybody a Minimalist Slot Car Collector

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Anybody a Minimalist Slot Car Collector

Postby Dundee Denny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Defining minimalist is now T/A cars or ones that I build from static kits.

I find I can get hours of fun finding, painting, then building the static kits into slot cars for the same dollars then just the initial ten minutes of opening the RTR box and checking out the car.

Taking this approach has really slowed filling up the Lucite case on the wall!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Abarth Mike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Last edited by Abarth Mike on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 am

I guess I'm not a minimalist, but neither am I a collector. Every slot car I have bought has been taken out of the packaging and put on the track. My main interest is in sports cars from the 1950's till now. In most cases I have only one or two of any particular car. The exceptions are my Ferrari F40s, McLaren F1GTRs, Porsche 956-962s, Lola T70s and my Trans Am Camaros and Mustangs. I have some cars that I bought just for racing in classes we have established locally. But when added all up I have quite a few slot cars.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:09 am

A collector by nature is a minimalist, if they aren't then they are just accumulating stuff. The worst cases can be seen on the show Hoarders. I've had a much larger quantity of slot cars but sold off about 75% due to space and cash constraints. Now I really like the cars that I have memories of racing with my buddies. Today there are so many great new products in all scales it's almost impossible to get one of everything.
KnowtoriousWon

Postby RazorJon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 am

my herd is from ones that I built, and early carrera muscle cars, these days I like building chassis and sticking a body on them

And Dave, you do belong to a club, the HRW brotherhood
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Im probably not a minimalist collector but I have narrowed down the types of cars I have. I only have cars now that fit this criteria -
* 1966-1974 Transam race cars
* Vintage Darkside Nascar 1948 - 1972 - Mostly mopars
* 1925 - 1962 Street cars - Mainly molars

Those 3 are my 3 interests. I have slowly been selling off most of my 1/32 as Im mainly 1/25 now. I just like the bigger size & detail that 1/25 has to offer. Most of my stuff is scratch built so I dont have a great deal built but my to-do pile is damn big, actually kinda scary :)
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Greg - we need to talk about some of your T/A cars if you are getting rid of them!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby oldstromguy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Good question.
I guess at this point I am a minimalist collector, in that I am very selective about which cars I buy today.
However, there was a time (several years, actually) when I bought as many cars as I could afford.
The reason for that was I never wanted to be in the position of not having cars (like during the late 70's through the 80's when cars were not readily available). My current collection is 365 cars.
1:32 210
1:43 83
HO 62
1:24 10
So, is it possible to be a minimalist collector, with this many cars? Maybe not. :naughty:
oldstromguy

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale