[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - RMS Resins Influencing the Slot Manufacturers

RMS Resins Influencing the Slot Manufacturers

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

RMS Resins Influencing the Slot Manufacturers

Postby red73mustang » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:00 pm

This may have come up in one form or another in previous threads, but I don't care because David Reinecke continues to promote the hobby and lead the way with innovative race inspired slot car kits. If all goes well this will prompt him to do more but don't tell him about our devious plot!

With that said, lets do a run down of the mass produced slot cars that RMS has influenced. Some are obvious and others are a bit more subtle. I'll start with a few and lets try keep to the format and as always keeps this a civil discussion. Also note that some of the models that RMS makes were done earlier in the 60's and 70's so no this is not a discussion about who did which car 1st.

RMS T/A 70 Camaro: Scalextric 70 T/A Camaro

RMS Bill Thomas Cheetah: MRRC Bill Thomas Cheetah
red73mustang
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: RMS Resins Influencing the Slot Manufacturers

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Hmmm, looks like Scaley is making a Cougar.

Guess who has had that one poured already? (which I have 3)

Now if we can just get him to finish the mold on the YUGO.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:27 pm

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:08 pm

It is an old joke really. I like to tease him a lot :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby crossovercrazy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:54 pm

RMS 65 Ford: Monogram 65 Ford
RMS 70 Cuda: SCX 70 Cuda
RMS 70 Challenger: Scalextric 70 Challenger
RMS 66 Mustang: Pioneer 67/68 Mustang
RMS 68 Camaro: Pioneer 68 Camaro

Lesson Learned: We should all stop buying RMS products, and just wait for the big guys to copy him!

I know the Policar F1 cars ripped off a lot of Reinecke engineering, and probably Pink Kar and BUM slot too.
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Hello! Not what I was expecting tonight when I got home. Chet - you're a nut and are just goading me into releasing more new kits ;) Soon, I promise!

The other comments are too kind. I do try to further the hobby by helping others learn resin casting, helping folks with scenery and tracks, and getting kids into the hobby by providing them cars and tracks.

I started after I switched from HO to 1/32nd scale slot cars and was looking for additional vintage Trans-Am series cars to go with the 1969 Camaro and Mustang that Scalextric produced. That proved to be a fruitless search at the time and I decided I would have to produce my own field of cars that utilized their chassis for parity in club racing. Thanks to a very good friend who tutored me in resin casting, here we are 10 years later. I'm not a perfect modeler, but I do my best to produce realistic and quality castings that anyone can build fairly simply. Besides, when the large companies don't make them, someone has to ;) When they do make them, I simply switch to another car. Let's be honest though - they can do it much better in a factory with computers than me, but I think I have more passion for the cars sometimes.

I do have a "real" job in Information Technology that pays the "real" bills, but this effort simply allows me to enjoy my hobby, meet new people, and drive little cars that would be too expensive for me to drive in the real world.

Even though RMS is a hobby business, it is a real business, and I treat it as such. I pride myself on my quality and customer service and I think that is my legacy - as if I have one LOL. While many casters have come and gone in the years I've been doing this, I've actually expanded and branched out into Rapid-Prototyping for some of my kits. Pretty heady stuff for a guy working in his basement and garage, but I love it.

As for the Yugo - it has been pushed back until after the Pacer... ;) The Lada isn't on the list since I refuse to ship to former Soviet Bloc countries anymore...too many packages are nicked going there!

As for the cars I've done that are now available, the list is much smaller than you might think:

Cougar - soon to be released from Scalextric
Challenger - soon to be released from Scalextric
AAR - done by SCX
68 Camaro - soon to be released from Pioneer
70 Camaro - done by Scalextric
'65 Galaxie - done by Rev/Mono
Cheeta - done by MRRC/Carrera

Thanks for the nice words and Happy Slotting!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby CCC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm going to have to order a 510 from you one of these days. Any thought of making a BMW 2002 to race against it? I would love to see a 240z as well lol!

Curtis
CCC
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:08 am

The 2002 BMW has been done by Spirit. I have some of David's kits, but have yet to build one, they are on my short list though. The 510 I have would have been on track long ago if it wasn't for figuring out a chassis for it. A small car that deserves a chassis that will run and handle well. Thank you David for all that you have done, and all you will do in the future. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby dreinecke » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:00 am

Ken, you've been slacking! I sold that to you YEARS ago LOL.

Yep, the BMW was done and done well by Spirit. Doesn't mean we can't do nice repaints though...

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby FootScoot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Your body kits are like fine wine, they get better with age. :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby choc-ice » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 am

I think the scratchbuild side of the hobby is one of the most exciting parts, not only are we spoiled for choice from the major manufacturers these days, but anything you can't buy RTR is almost certainly available from a scratchbuilder.

To be serious (not for too long), the reason David got there first is that the major manufacturers have already covered most of the obvious cars, they're now getting down to the next level of car to produce, and RMS Resins have been there for a while.

When David does his Yugo, I'll do the Pinto I've got hidden away :lol:
choc-ice
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:30 am

You'll have to get it out before my Pinto and Gremlin - but I guarantee mine won't look as cool sliding around the track as yours!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale