[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - MRRC Sebring Chassis - where to add weight?

MRRC Sebring Chassis - where to add weight?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

MRRC Sebring Chassis - where to add weight?

Postby Audi1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm working on a couple of cars that use the MRRC/Monogram Sebring Chassis. With the short wheelbase on these cars (Porsche 911S's) and the inline motor configuration, I need to add some weight to the rear of the car; about 10 gms. But, I'm having a hard time finding a good location for adding weight. There's not a lot of clearance on the underside of the car, so it's challenging to place weight there. The inside is mostly irregular surfaces, not much in the way of flat area to speak of.

Does anyone have experience adding weight to the rear of this type of chassis? If you do, then where and how did you add it? Thanks.

Audi1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: MRRC Sebring Chassis - where to add weight?

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Lead sheet along the bottom of the chassis. You can get it from various slot suppliers or golf club stores.
I have also seen folks glue brass sheet to the bottom of the chassis (I would try contact adhesive or good ol' super glue.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 pm

I have the Sebring chassis under a Chaparral.

There are Slot.It wheels at all four corners. I fitted Paul Gage 21105 tires on the rear.

The car on MDF is very neutral. No weight added.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby SRQSloter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Here's a few places.

SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

On my Sebrings I use peel and stick golf weights on the bottom along the chassis adjustment channels like in SRQ's second picture seems to lower the center of gravity quite well.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:23 pm

I ended up using less weight than I had planned, based on some track testing (Carrera plastic track). Both cars now weigh about 76 gms; so about 5gms of weight added to the chassis in each car; slightly more in the FC-130 car.

I usually shoot for somewhere between 60:40 and 65:35 (rear:front), but these cars are heavy in the front and I'm running more like 41% in the front now. Adding more weight to the rear did not make the cars faster and didn't make them easier to drive. I would call them "predictable" now; in terms of handling and that seems like a reasonable place to start.

It's hard for me to get used to 14k rpm motors when I spend most of my time running 20+k rpm motors; whether they're the old Mabuchi black stripe motors from Scalextric and Fly or the newer Slot.It and NSR motors. Smooth, but definitely not rockets in my hands at 10V!

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to locate weight in a Sebring chassis.

Audi1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm

The only other thing I do when there is not a lot of space, is mix up, some jb weld, and pour it into, the small areas. Admittedly not a lot of weight, but it gets to areas otherwise inaccessible.
One positive is that it flows to the lowest point so keeps your cog as low as possible.
Our rules state no weight under the chassis , so everything must go inside which can make it even more of a challenge. Anyway just another option for you.
Cheers
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale