[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera 1/32 car bodies - heavy?

Carrera 1/32 car bodies - heavy?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Carrera 1/32 car bodies - heavy?

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:45 pm

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:52 pm

I have seen some very good vac form work that until you picked it up you wouldn't know it was vac form. Qme of the older English guys have some fine examples. But it was the tendency to produce blobbish thingies that is partly at fault for the long hiatus in slotting history in many places. I'm with Mr K.

But horses for courses. If you think you can get a fully detailed Carrera up to the mark... good luck.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Ah but yes,some of those Carrera bodies may a bit heavy. Race them amonst their peirs whether equipped with stock chassis or that new fangled Slot.it chassis that has been discussed in the other thread and it is all good.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby a110alpine » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 pm

as a model car historian I always find it fascinating to follow threads such as this one. Carrera cars go pretty fast already. the heavy body now is for durability since they are pushing their digital and the models have become bump and crash cars. most people won't like their cars breaking up into little pieces too soon. the desire to make it "faster" is one of the major reasons the hobby went into decline 46 years ago. 17 years ago when ninco and fly raised the bar on detail the whole purpose was to race at slower speeds to actually enjoy seeing a well detailed model car race on a model racetrack. I see this now slowing disappearing. no that is wrong it is gone completely. the guys I know that have gone the speed route in this second renaissance have already lost interest in "slot cars" and are back to hunting and fishing. the original scalextric classic track that was around 8 years ago , with it's shallow slot required a great deal of skill to go at a decent speed and still stay on. It is really a shame because there are a lot of people who missed the renaissance completely and now all they will see is super fast cars, just like the old days. they will never buy a slot car.
a110alpine

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:39 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:46 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Alpine, I think you'll find there are now two distinct style of slot racers. Those who like the outright speed usually on a bare and open club-style track. Then there are those who are more appreciative of the detail in both car and atmosphere. I'm happy to count myself among the latter group.

I can see the first group going down the same trail as what happened before; faster and faster cars, either with or without magnet, eventually sacrificing form for performance.

I'd like to think the scale modelers among us will be the guardians that keep things ticking over when the other kind hit the wall.

We shall see.

Even among the digital world there is the division between the speed style (think Scalex impact resistant) and the detail fans. The detail fans are those more inclined to the BLST and anti collision forms of digital.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby ecr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 pm

After reading this post I came to realize, I guess I'm some where in the middle.
I too LOVE my fast cars,extra mags,big motors,lowered,and PG tires, BUT !
I also enjoy the other cars that are not set up to run as fast.
I think as long as we enjoy our wonderful hobby we can't go wrong
and it will continue to live on !
If you want your Carrera car to go as fast as it can,carve it ,cut it,and
modify it as you please. And use it as you feel fit.
As long as you enjoy, that's what it's all about !!
ecr :character-oldtimer:
ecr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Audi1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 am

I do a mixture of the three. Different eras and styles of cars shouldn't all have the same power in my book. I think of it as prototypical driveability. I have my classics where the NC1 type power is the cats meow. Then I have my middle weight class comprised of V8 muscle cars such as the Scaley, Pioneer, SCX Trans Am cars. The 18kish motors are just about right to me for that class. On the top end, I have my fire breathing, big block, and / or turbo boosted mouse motored cars such as Can Am, Group 5 etc. Now those want to be a little squirly IMHO just as I would imagine the real cars were. I run more power in those classes but even then rarely would I run a motor beyond 21K. The same rules apply to my oval cars which I race on my Travelin Big D oval. The street stocks and bombers are slower, late model and modefied classes are faster, and outlaw sprint cars are.........Outlaws!
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby legrandnormand » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am

I just got this morning my DTM BMW Carrera digital 1/32; out of the box, it compares very well to my best Carrea car that I have, my Audi R-18; expecting to put on PG tires and to compare both cars again on my plastic Carrera circuit. :)
The details of that DTM are just perfect...I just hope not to crash it heavily and I'll try to keep it as is for the next few months. ;)
legrandnormand
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 am

Hey pal... You callin' my Carrera cars "fat"...? :lol:

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Sorta what you see on the online dating sites..............."a few extra grams"...............................body weight, that is......... :lol:

Audi1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale