Re: Carrera 1/32 car bodies - heavy?

Postby Ember » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Perhaps he meant Phat.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:44 pm

To Audi1. Why not wrap your mind around racing an Audi R8. There are at least three different brands available. Scalextric, Ninco and NSR all make it and the NSR is very fast. Afterall it is an Audi and is what they are racing around the USA this year.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 am

I have a Scalextric Audi R8 that I built out back in the early Spring. It runs very well and I've been happy with it, overall.

I really like the look of the Carrera Ferrari 458, AF Corse car; that's what started this thread. I'm working on it / making some progress...............

Audi1
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:48 am

OK, Don Quixote, carry on. But I would prepare and race the Scaley Ferrari F430, they have some great liveries and mine is one of my fastest scaley GT cars.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:39 am

I do want to point out that Carrera makes... get ready for it... toys. Toys are largely used by children and anyone that has kids knows that you want a toy to be... wait for it... durable. Now i'm a hobbyist and i too love nothing more than a blisteringly fast slot car. But I personally balance my own preferences for speed with wanting to make an 1.affordable 2. durable slot car that can be equally enjoyed and played with by adults and by children. Now the word "toy" seems to make some people squeamish because how can you take a toy seriously (i guess is the logic). But i'm not at all afraid of it.
So when you're comparing the slots that Carrera makes to another companies slots just keep in mind one thing that I have yet to hear anyone ever say that Carrera cars aren't the most durable cars.
I've talked with one of the guys within Carrera that does the technical aspects of the mold specs and plastic specs and he pointed out that if we thinned the bodies out that you wouldn't have some of the depth of detail that you can get with body lines and body contours. He's been working for Carrera for a long time now and I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

Yes Carrera cars are heavier than other brands... yup, guilty. Also by and large some of the best detailed and cheapest as well.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby legrandnormand » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 am

I totally agree with you Dave, and I'll never get rid of my Carrera cars; like you say, I use them as a toy and I love it.
legrandnormand
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LAMing » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:43 am

Dave,

Love'em just the they are! Keep on bringing us more goodies!
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 am

I'm sorry, I never meant to come across as criticizing Carrera slot cars (I've re-read my OP and I can see how it could come across as a criticism, but that was not the intent). I just wanted to know if there was a way to make the bodies lighter. I have my answer(s) now and am moving on.

I agree with what Dave said about the depth of body detail that Carrera has on their cars; very nice, about the durability and the price.

Audi1

...........now. where did I put my lance? I know there's a windmill out there, somewhere.................... ;)
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale