[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Fly 935K3 Chassis

Fly 935K3 Chassis

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Fly 935K3 Chassis

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm

After looking a while, I finally managed to get a Fly 935K3. Since our group is going to start a Group 5 class, I was pretty happy to have a car and got to the tuning session tonight.
To make a long story short, the chassis was pretty tweaked......and the boiling water treatment tweaked it waaaaaaaaaaaay too far in the opposite direction. :whistle: :oops:

So I went poking around, and couldn't seem to find a lot of spares available. Hints, anyone? It's a stock class, so I can't go HRS2 and strip the interior. I need to come up with the original chassis. Which I promise not to destroy, this time.... :oops:
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Fly 935K3 Chassis

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:44 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:00 pm

It's a total loss. I clamped it and used boiling water. One side curled up, the other bent inwards, the motor mount is about 10 degrees to port.

Let this be a learning experience, grasshopper. :text-nocomment:
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Dave,
I am not sure about the 934. This is the odd chassis with the high mounted rear end sidewinder, because of the full interior.
Mine is a bit more anglewinder at this point though.........
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Nope......sorry, that's the 934 chassis.
The one I am looking for is this one:

chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mether05 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:30 am

Well, never seen a chassis do that with the "straightening" bath! Anyone have any theories as to how that happened. I've had great success with the "Slot.it" method, boiling water and oven cool down.

Thoughts anyone? I ask so no one gets the same result and ends up with no chassis.
mether05
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 am

I had the same thing happen to a Ninco Ferrari 360 chassis a couple of years ago. I too, was using boiling water and was told it should have been 160° - 180° F. My only solution was to buy another car as that chassis was not offered as a replacement either.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Indy500Lee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:29 am

Just Let You Guys Know For The Future, You Donot Use Boiling Water, Hot Or Warm Water Is Used, You Can Do The Magnet Trick Harry Uses Or A Piece Of Glass And Tech Block To Staighten The Chassis, You Just Have To Massage The Chassis In Place Not Bend it, Just A FYI!!

Lee :D
Indy500Lee

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 am

In retrospect, I would rather have a slightly bent chassis than a mangled one. One of the best handling slot cars I ever had was after it hit the wall and bent the chassis. Never did straighten it out.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:07 am

Dave,
Thank you for your generous offer, I do appreciate it.
With nothing at the webstores either and no auction listings, I am pretty well stuck at this point unless someone has a boneyard heap. I am willing to buy the chassis......

A classic case of "If hot is good, hotter will be better/faster" - only not so much in this case. I did have it clamped to my ceramic chassis jig, so it was flat and solid.......just got too soft and I left it in too long, obviously.

I might end up losing the interior after all.....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Chappyman, looks like the cheapest 935K3 on ebay is $61.95 making it an expensive chassis replacement. If you want to switch to a Lancia Beta Monte Carlo I have one I could be persuaded to part with.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:49 am

Hi Bob,
Yup, I don't need a whole complete car just to have a spare body sitting around. I will keep watching hoping to pick up a junker or something, or just give up and go with a scratchbuild.
Thank you for kind offer on the Lancia, but I will pass. The Porsche is the car I wanted.
I also have a Fly Capri Turbo (the racing version with rear motor and good wheels and lightweight interior) that is still box-stock so I might be able to talk my way through tech for the Group 5 series :-)
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale