[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Classic Grand Prix Cars

Classic Grand Prix Cars

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Classic Grand Prix Cars

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:17 am

Last edited by Dangermouse on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Classic Grand Prix Cars

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 am

Those are great models, what a sight!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:52 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:44 am

Not sure Marty it is a Talbot Lago T26 if you want to look up what that is all about

I never thought I liked open wheelers, til I saw these, great too look at and a lot of fun to drive
They all have a nc1 equivalent motor in them, (some bwa ff050) so they make their way around the track with min fuss, we race these as a class, the MERC w196 #14 and a Kurtis Offy (not pictured) are my quickest 2
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 am

I too have grown to really love these cars, it takes a lot of practice to drive them well, but its worth it! Your collection is absolutely fantastic! you need to add the 58 Shelby driven Maserati.
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby seal666 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Great job on those beautiful cars!
A couple of questions, if you would be so kind. What year did GP racing depart from "national" colors? Before I invest in a resin build, how do they hold up. I have been known to come off the track, a time or two.
bob e
seal666

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Good question on the national colours? - bit of research needed there.....

With resin builds - most of them are George Turner models - they come with a resin chassis as well. The Aston Martin is a Penelope Pitlane and has a metal chassis. It is built like a tank. A chap raced a resin PP car during our last outing with these cars.

The finer detail parts (as on any car) wouldn't hold up well but the bodies are as solid as the Cartrix cars - I haven't raced any of my resin cars - I have thought about racing them, a case of trusting not only yourself but the other drivers and my worry would be mostly the fine detail bits not the car body - each of them have had a few offs in practice and I drive to beat lap times.
Last edited by Dangermouse on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:11 pm

The country of origin colours were certainly dead with the introduction of major sponsorship. But team colours (often based on country colours) were very much the norm in the late 50s and 60s. Any continuation of country colours these days is purely coincidental.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:18 pm

While I was watching F-1 as a young guy, the majors all stuck to the national colors in GP and GT. As more countries recovered from WWII, there were many more countries represented. Then, nations with teams that had been active in GP for decades dropped out, like Belgium, and so on. Brazil became the only yellow, even though the Brazil yellow was very pale, like the Talbot Lago above, and the darker yellow of Belgium made occasional appearances from time to time.

This is the best table for the national colors I know of, and there are incomplete parts in it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in ... ing_colors
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Sir Jack's first Brabham raced in turquoise and yellow. It was only in the following season that he adopted green and gold.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:53 pm

The drivers of the Talbot were from Belgium and the White Maserati is the Jo Bonnier car - he is Swedish hence the blue and yellow stripe it seems mostly cars followed the national colours for the car but they were also coloured for the driver... such as the yellow Ferrari D50 of Pilette, the Bonnier car I think once sponsorship starting coming in then the colours became 'team' colours rather than national

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in ... ing_colors
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dr fabio » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Super deluxe DM!! How di you get that darkened effect around the rivets and the panel line creases? The panel lines I gather are done with some sort of pencil?
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Dr Fab

The panel lines on the D50 are painted with a fine brush and a cloth to wipe mistakes away - I now also use a 0.1mm fine liner pen which works well. Just need time to let the ink thoroughly dry. I sometimes paint the second coat - then highlight the panel lines then give it a very light 3rd coat. (I am starting to think I need to move from rattle cans to an airbrush)
There is probably a light wash over some of the rivet area - or that shadow is just that a shadow from the camera :)
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby miveson » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Holy Cow Dangermouse....

Some fantastic cars there - I didn't realise you had so many Cartrix cars.

Have to agree the D50 in red is the pick of the bunch...... great photos.........
miveson
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale