[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - slot car / chassis in the future

slot car / chassis in the future

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

slot car / chassis in the future

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:14 am

With the range of 3D chassis that are being offered today by this company and slot.it and others
http://www.slotcar-today.com/en/notices ... z-3656.php

I wonder if we will see a time where mainstream toy manufacturers start offering fully detailed body kits with the view to hobbyist opting for their own chassis - (which could also be printed by the company on demand) ..
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: slot car / chassis in the future

Postby Changing-Gearz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:13 am

Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:45 am

Do you know what the dimensions of these chassis are? The wheelbases are most important, but track, and overall length and width would be nice to know too.

I'd appreciate something that fits under the Trans Am Mustang, Camaro, Cougar, etc., bodies from the 60's and 70's. Scalextric & Pioneer Chassis and parts are hard to come by without having to buy a car and scavenge parts from it. This would be ideal for the RMS resin and model bodies.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:07 pm

"I'd appreciate something that fits under the Trans Am Mustang, Camaro, Cougar, etc., bodies from the 60's and 70's. Scalextric & Pioneer Chassis and parts are hard to come by without having to buy a car and scavenge parts from it. This would be ideal for the RMS resin and model bodies."

But that won't give you "parts", just a new chassis. Not saying anything negative about the product, but what you are getting is a bare chassis that still needs the pod, and running gear purchased.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Wheelbase is easy to adjust. Track is the issue. This is why you saw strip and ladder chassis in the 60s. Print on Demand (POD) will make this less of an issue though. Scale racing has never been so good!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:53 pm

$15 isn't bad. I'm ordering one. Anybody got a promo code?
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for the link Harry!
It's been a busy few months between the 3d thing - my shop - the 24 hours at area 51.... Oh - and late nights at my regular gig. TGIF is right!

Well - On the track (width) issue.... I had started a universal (adjustable wheelbase) inline chassis that would allow you to use as wide an axle as you wanted - no spacers on the front - just one stopper on the axle held between some posts... (It's shown in the shop..)There's some friction there - but the plastic Shapeways uses worked pretty well and the actual contact area was limited to around 1.5mm squared (its like what slot.it does on Anglewinders with the stopper - but that has a much bigger contact area).... I put some aesthetics into it as the chassis has the look of a space frame formula car without the skin off........ I put that off to the side for a while - But I have one printed I'm tinkering with....I may revisit that idea on the next Fly chassis - maybe put the option in there so you don't need spacers - Then if you want to use 15x7 CB wheels (The only wheel I recommend :D ) - you won't need a million spacers.

So the big problem with the trans-am cars are the bumpers.... On most models they are molded in to the chassis... It can be created - but the problem is - the material from shapeways takes a ton of work to paint.... I can get there - but the bumpers, rockers and valances won't match out of the box.... That may cause me more grief emails than its worth!

With the resin manufacturers (and with Brass guys) - I keep reading this guy in England bashing the 3D printing people.... I get it. There is craftsmanship that comes along at a certain level in our hobby - and getting ones hands dirty is certain right of passage.... It's not lost on me that a retro brass car is a small work of art..... I look at the 3D stuff from many angles...But time will tell if it all pans out. And - back to the post topic..... There are already 2 manufactures in Europe (that I know) looking at "kits" with the option to print chassis out on demand... There has been cost points studied and performance tests.... It won't be long... But - it sounds like delivery to Australia might me an issue!!
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Make one available for the new SRC Lola T600 and I will order it too.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Shipping is not as bad as it once was - seems Shapeways have looked at that - I had previously tried to by a chassis from Immense Miniatures chassis and the shipping was crazy - seems now they want $15 shipping (not Shapeways doing that is about the cost of shipping a small packet from US) - still for a $15 chassis

I wonder if in the future instead of buying and shipping - you buy the item and there will be an option to send the file to your personal 3D printer for printing.....

One of these chassis - $15 - add a Devis pod $7 - use the running gear from the car and you are set...

interesting possibilities
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 pm

"use the running gear form the car and you are set..."

Sir Mouse, I must completely (and peacefully) disagree 100%.

Why bother investing in an advanced chassis design only to install stock parts? Especially stock FLY parts?
What do you gain then in performance/operation? Nothing. Isn't that the point of buying the better engineered chassis?

I mean, this type of chassis is directed more to the advanced tuner correct?

I have many Fly models that have been rebuilt and the results are wonderful. The car used to run badly, now they run like...well...like Slot.it built it.

In other words, it wasn't the chassis (for the most part) that was preventing the model from running poorly.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:24 pm

DM Dave, not sure if you saw recently, Aussie Post announced the are opening a US depot to give Aussie's a US shipping address. AusPost will charge a flat shipping fee from there apparently. It makes things like MicroMark look interesting again.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 pm

I ordered the chassis for the Ferrari 512. I am thinking of using hardware from a slot.it 312PB but I know the rims are incorrect. Maybe a set from Racer would work but the the overall cost starts creeping up over $100.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:29 pm

In the confirmation email from shapeways I found this CYA statement
"Warning: Please note that the 3D printed products are intended for decorative purposes. They are not suited to be used as toys or to be given to underage children. The products should not come in contact with electricity and be kept away from heat. Our materials, except for 3D printed glazed ceramics, are not food safe."

I'm not worried about the food safe part but I am worried about the not suited to be used as toys part. I wonder if anyone is working on a brush on coating that would impart strength to the chassis.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 pm

You could probably coat it in fibreglass resin, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

Ever think maybe they add those statements to cover their own backside?

There are different types of 3D printing material with different hardness qualities.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale