[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Injecting resin.

Injecting resin.

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Injecting resin.

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:41 am

I am not sure if this topic has be brought up before.

I am a slush caster and use Lego for my mold boxes, and I have always wondered if there is a home resin injection apparatus for sale or craft made?

Anyone have any info or examples of a resin injection system?

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Injecting resin.

Postby walker » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:48 pm

The only apparatus for home making I know is a pressure pot to get the bubbles out of the silicone first ( vacuum ) and the resin in the mould then ( pressure ).

As long as I have been casting now I have never ever had so big or many bubbles - neither in the silicone nor the resin - that I had felt like having to get a pressure pot.

The only equipment I use is a scale, differently sized syringes and scaled small containers for mixing small amounts.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:05 pm

The resin I use is a low viscosity and it is really good for degassing. I don't use a a vacuum pot of pressure pot, and the results are decent.

I was just wondering if the technology is out there for home use resin injecting casting. I guy would use harder multipart molds and it would be more like a plastic injection operation.

I guess the stumbling block is the fact the resin cures and would foul up everything. So again i was just curious to see if anything exists

I guess I will google it and see what comes up.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:17 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:26 pm

I used an old paint pot sold by Princess Auto. Usually a gallon or so of pait goes in it and the pressure tank allows the painter to spray. Well if you take the dip tube out and
Close ot off, you can use it as a pressure pot for pretty much anything we need.
The cost was about $50.00 assuming you have a compressor already.
Works great. Kitman taught me the method, and he makes some very nice detailed cars for Studio65.
I suppose it could be used as a vacuum tank too by using a vacuum pump instead of the compressor.
All the best
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:01 pm

Yes I have used all the techniques mentioned, but I was wondering if there is an actual resin injection process. Google returned a couple of injection process machines, buy these certainly are not for the home hobbyist. I have a vacuum pump and I used a paint can , but the low visc resin I am using now works well enough that I can't be bothered to get the vacuum pump and can out.

I was wondering if there was a machine where you load up Part A and Part B, and it swirl mixes it on the way to the mold where the resin is injected into the mold like plastic injection except the equipment would be running at room temperature, and less then 20 PSI.

If the injection tube was a two piece affair, it could be pulled apart and the hardened resin removed easy enough. I am just thinking if there isn't something like this maybe there should be.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:27 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:54 am

Auto body panel adhesive uses an applicator with a disposable mixing tube. The applicator looks like a double barrel caulk gun.
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:34 am

That spin casting seems to be all you need. I'll have to hunt around to see if someone has developed a hobbyist version. Although I guess 3D printing works well for individual products. They are so darn slow though.

Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 am

Spin casting is usually used to make hollow objects. I have a friend who is a sculptor and he makes a master, then a 2 piece outer mold. He puts the mold on his spin machine and then uses resin to pour inside while the mold is spinning. It evenly deposits plastic all the way around without any in the middle. He uses plastic or there are several metals he melts in his oven then pours in the mold. His equipment is not really hobbyist oriented. His is kind of an "industrial" shop where he makes statues for cematary monuments or other one of a kind projects. A good example of spin casting are the hollow chocolate Easter bunnies!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Resin injecting has been known to cause hardening of the arteries.....

just say'n
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:43 am

Checked out the cost. Ouch, only for commercial use. Much cheaper to use a 3D printer for personal use and accept the long printing times.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Guildman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 am

For what it's worth, I used to inject resin from a largish syringe and quickly wash out the syringe with cellulose thinners after use before the resin had set. Each syringe lasted about 4 squirt/clean-up cycles before becoming unusable, but I was injecting 1/8th scale aero engines for a very high value model boat.
In fact if you're ever in Fairfax, Virginia (over 3000 miles from where I now sit), call in at Arties Restaurant and you should see both the models I did in there. One with the engines was Miss America X.

Cheers,
Martin
Guildman

Return to HRW Body Shop