[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Material

Material

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Material

Postby BigCatRacing » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:31 pm

What do you guys use for mold and casting materials and where do you get them? i have always wanted to try this I think its time.
BigCatRacing

Re: Material

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm

I use Smooth on Silicone and resin Good stuff that does not need degassing and is available in the smaller quantities. Resin will spoil once open as it adsorbs water particles from the air. When this happens it will start setting up with bubbles in it. So I would suggest buying smaller quantities that you can use up in a couple of weeks after opening it. So when resealing it get some plastic wrap and cover the open before you screw the cap back on. Always wear gloves, and with most anything a good ventilated area is best, although I have found resin to be not very offensive. But hey no exposure to anything is the best course of action.

I always mask up when sanding, and I lot of times I sand with the subject under water to collect the fine particles to ensure they don't become airborne at all.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:03 pm

If you just want to play and see what you can do, use the hobby lobby 40% off coupon and buy the high strength silicone and the quick cure resin. They sell the alumilite brand and it is good stuff. With the coupon (good for one item) You can get either item for $18 at the store no shipping. You can use the coupon as often as you go to the store and if you are phone savvy, you can just show them your phone. These are good products. Smaller quantities, but unless you are in production they are enough for small projects. For some body molds I have had to make two trips and get two containers of rubber.

Fopr years all I used was Smoothon and it is good stuff. I used to buy samplers on their website that contained 16oz each of rubber and plastic. All good.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:46 pm

Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby BigCatRacing » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Thank you all for your help. How much does it usually take to do a 1/32 scale body?
BigCatRacing

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 pm

average 2 lbs. of rubber on the outer mold, and about 1-1/4 for the inner plug for me, I use a pioneer crystal case top for my box.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby mattb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:10 pm

I think I use less rubber than Mark uses. Probably 2 pounds would do a full mold if you keep the box not more than 3/4 inch larger than the body on all sides. Inner shouldn't take more than 8 oz or so on a small 1/32 body. If the mold is small and sides too flexible, you can cut some wood or plastic to support both sides and put a rubber band around the mold to keep everything in place. Rubber on rubber requires a mold release specifically for that. Micro Mark has it in their catalog, Hobby Lobby has it on the shelf, and Smoothon has it on their website. It is a paintable release that keeps the silicone from sticking to silicone. Best to coat the whole outer mold and not just where you think rubber will touch rubber. This is not Mann Eze Release or similiar type product. I have tried and found that baby powder will also work as a release if it is dusted in a mold then the excess blown out. t does not cause interference with future painting. This does not work with rubber to rubber. Probably pictures would help you understand some of this process and if nobody puts anything up here, I will post some stuff in a day or two. So many guys cast stuff here that they probably have pix of every stage on their computers.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Here's a picture I do have of an outer and inner mold from one of my older projects.AMT MOLD.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Great info guys. We're going to try some casting here in NEPA. Actually, we're going to try some vacuforming too! I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but let's just say this project started as a Carrera.
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BigCatRacing » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:45 pm

FedEx just dropped off the supplies now I need to find a model to modify. Any tips on where to get a 1/32 scale Camaro model?
BigCatRacing

Postby mattb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 pm

Eldon made a 67-69 style Camaro. shouldn't be harf to find one of them. The companies that make the new slot cars do a variety of Camaros. Either Mark Thomas or Harry do a 71 style Camaro, I have seen those cars on this forum. Probably there are plenty of toys/diecasts that would fill the bill.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TAMELESSTGR » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:08 am

This is great info, thanks, I am looking to start a 72 C10 mold with a Diecast model I found on eBay. Been watching this video:

Been considering ordering their kit for $82

https://www.brickintheyard.com/products/7320moldcastkit
TAMELESSTGR

Return to HRW Body Shop