[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/43 rally proxy on my Little Monte rally track.

1/43 rally proxy on my Little Monte rally track.

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

1/43 rally proxy on my Little Monte rally track.

Postby LloydL » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:49 pm

LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/43 rally proxy on my Little Monte rally track.

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:59 pm

VERY cool!
While I don't run 1/43 - I think this is going to be pretty cool!
Look forward to seeing additional details!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby pfuetze » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Purpose built boxes - i like that :)
will you take more pictures of the cars?
Looking forward to see more :)
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks all, yes Peter, there will be lots of photos, and hopefully a decent video when I have guest drivers at the weekend.

Most of these cars have thinned down pin guides, and that seems to be what works best on this track.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:11 pm

It looks as if this will be a really testing rally stage - and a bit of a frightener for those entrants who haven't seen pictures of your track!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Most of them have seen it David, but any 'offs' are usually at slow speed and just result in a spin!

These cars are mostly too modern for me, but I should have some 60s cars on there soon.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:26 am

LOL!
Hope nobody sends me cars for a proxy race on my track anytime soon as it's not really ready for running! :laughing-rolling: Also, I am liable to think they are sending me free cars! :laughing-rolling:

Stock Carrera on the Monte? OH! that's going to be . . ah . . . not much fun! :doh:
Modified, maybe if they have had a blade guide fitted!? :think:

Still, sometime all you need is for somebody to give you a little push! :violence-stickwhack:
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 am

stock???
i do not think they are all stock car.
i see an artin Porsche (or at least wide artin wheels). Also with clear windows and a driver figure.
The yellow Mini doesn´t look stock at all. The DB5 has a different paint scheme - is it the real DB5 or the modified one from CARS? also clear windows on this one??? the green 206 is missing the rear wing already ... The Subare seems to have clear windows, too.
I should have entered my Go!206 with light kit in this proxy :)
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 am

About half of them are stock. So far, most of the leading cars are stock, but they are allowed extra weight and urethane rear tyres..

On Little Monte, first impressions are that cars with trimmed stock guide pins are the easiest to drive. It will be interesting to see how they do against the clock. I am hoping to get under 20 seconds, the quickest I have done before was 25 seconds.

Regards, Lloyd
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:13 pm

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am

Hello Walker, to be honest, I still do not know which setup is the best yet. It does seem that the cars with guide pins are working well, but the few that have swivel guides are doing ok as well.

The 3 previous rallies have been on plastic racetracks and nearly all the cars have been fitted with urethane tyres and, on the Little Monte track, some have too much grip. It will be interesting to see which setup comes out on top!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:02 pm

You know oddly I can see where a stock car with a rounded pin guide, could work well! The turns are really tight so a car that drifts (like with a guide flag) is not as much of an advantage as a car that simply rotates well. I imagine on the Monte when you turn you need the car to come all the way around and a pin guide will certainly do that! You are not carrying a whole lot of speed through the turn; that is where a flag would excel, instead it's probably more of a shoot and squirt sort of deal.
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:20 pm

The thing to bear in mind is that 1 lap requires 3 different driving techniques:

Starting right down at the bottom, the track goes left, left, left, hairpin right, right, right 180 left, all of which are on steep inclines. Then the incline eases and leads to a 180 right into the tunnel, then a short straight then a left turn out of the tunnel. Much of this section was at full throttle (on 8 volts), but with care taken on the turns to avoid the rear of the car hitting the scenery too hard or, worse still spinning out! This section is all painted matt grey with a little sand mixed in.

The second section, the zigzags, is painted with white primer on the straights and gloss white on the hairpin turns, of which there are 5, radius being 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". As mas says, this needs this needs firm acceleration on the straight bits, sharp braking into the turn to unsteady the car, firm power into the turn, easing once the car is 2/3 round then progressive build up into the next straight. Too much welly will give too much contact with the scenery! Not enough power into the turns will cause the car not to slide and it will just get stuck, too much and it will spin out! The sixth turn is easier and the 7th is quite an easy radius, but fairly easy to spin out on if I am too quick on the trigger! This is followed by a 13 foot straight that isnt! It wiggles slightly at it's narrowest point and is by no means smooth. The car can be driven quite fast along here, but too fast can cause it to deslot. The end of this section is a left hand hairpin, but not as tight as those on the climb.

The third section is all down hill and a short rest for the driver as the car goes down an 8 foot straight, then a right hand turn slightly bigger than a hairpin followed by a 7 foot straight and then an easy left turn leads into a 180 left turn by the church. This is quite a wide turn but will catch out the unwary. The snow line finishes soon after as the car enters a tortuous series of turns and hairpins, with some longer straights near the bottom. Going downhill bring its own problems, so the driver has to be on his guard!

Then the driver has to be ready to switch driving styles to start the next lap. Lap length is about 85 feet and the lowest to highest point is about 5' 6".

I hope to do a decent video at the weekend, when I have some guest drivers visiting. It is not the easiest track to drive with one hand while videoing with the other!

Regards, Lloyd.
Last edited by LloydL on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cyclone60 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:29 pm

Cant wait to see that video ! :drool:
Have a good race :music-rockout:
cyclone60
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:32 am

i should start building a Mini for the Little Monte :)
great description of a lap on the Little Monte, Lloyd!
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale