Guide Depth

2018 Trans-Am Series Proxy

Guide Depth

Postby 73emgee » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:17 am

This will be my first proxy and I have a question about the guide depth. I'm assuming the proxy will be run on a mix of plastic and wooden tracks, so how does one determine the guide depth to use. Would the Scaleauto 8.3mm red guide be a good choice? I've also read that the red guide can sometime causes timing problems with in the slot sensors. Would a deeper guide such as Slot.it be a better choice? Should I be using a guide that is not as deep as 8.3mm?

Thanks for your help.
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Guide Depth

Postby Pappy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 am

That's the million dollar question.

You have to try and find a happy medium. In a proxy race you'll run great on one track and crappy on another track. If you are going to be running on plastic tracks I wouldn't use a deep wood guide or one with a real long blade because on plastic tracks the turns are usually real sharp and the blade can bind or bottom out in the slot.

I would set my car up for a braid that is absolutely level with the track surface.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:47 am

The red Scaleauto guides have had to be trimmed down during a few of the races over the past few years. They are very deep and tend to hang, even on my routed track.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Racie35 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

Proxies should designate a guide that they know is compatible with the tracks being used.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Some of the problems with the ScaleAuto guides wasn’t because of their depth, but seems to be the back slanted front of the flag hanging on some of the routed tracks. That has to be trimmed. I have been using the 7mm flags, because my home track is plastic, but that has shown to maybe be too shallow in some instances.

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 2018 Trans-Am Series Proxy