[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Can-Am Proxy Series for 2018?

Can-Am Proxy Series for 2018?

Re: Can-Am Proxy Series for 2018?

Postby Audi1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Opening it to the early Chaparrals and Lotus will be great. However it makes it really difficult to chose which cars to model.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 pm

I love the idea, and also love the age spread for the particular cars.
However i do have one concern, and that is the number of entrants.
I find it more difficult to get drivers and marshals willing to attend very large entry events.
I have found that roughly 20 entries is a good number and 2 or 2 and a half minute heats are long enough for the drivers who dont seem to be getting any younger.

However if this were broken into Can Am with different eras then 3 or 4 eras, could be run at different times. It would also allow for more entrants to get involved if we limited each entrant to 2 eras, 1car for each.
I have had proxies with over 30 cars show up and it is a lot of time and work and the reluctance of drivers to commit can be a real issue..
I am open to any suggestions that may make it easier as i really enjoy the proxies.
Cheers
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Audi1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 am

Here are some examples of the models that won the series winning cars, by year:

Interesting evolution. Too bad the oil crunch came and costs for the teams to be competitive went through the roof; I wonder where it would have ended otherwise.............

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:00 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:14 am

one car per person sounds great Allan. I think you should limit the tire width of the tires to 8mm foot print so the Ford GT40 will not run away running 11mm tires as you can't fit them under many of the cars.

And yes I need something to do with my rear motor Porsche 911, never even tried to make it run without a magnet. It may not win but I can see if I can make it fun to drive.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:51 am

I think the TS Lola will level the playing field against the GT-40. I would love to compete with my 911s that are Can Am approved but not TA approved, however I don't think they will be competitive in this group. I also understand the 1 car limit as that's fair for all involved including hosts and drivers
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:50 pm

OK, so a little more thinking. Here's sort of a spec list for the series; not rules yet - just for comments at this point:

Cars - any car that ran in one or more Can-Am races from '66 to '74

1. Body - Plastic Injection Molded, resin or 3D printed bodies
2. Chassis - any material / podded or non-podded
3. Wheels - any - maximum dimensions of 15x8 for both front and rear
4. Tires - any - rubber or urethane - maximum width (shoulder-to-shoulder) 10mm
5. Motor - any - 22k rpm or less based on manufacturer's spec / IL, SW, AW all OK, long or short can
6. Gearing - open
7. clearance - 1.0 mm minimum
8. No tires or guide flags visible from the top of the car
9. Interior - any (lightweight OK) - 3D driver's head, arms, hands, and steering wheel top/dash
10. Glass - any (Lightweight OK) - must be present for closed cars on windshield and rear window

One entry per person
Unique numbers required
Maximum number of cars - 25-30; depending on the number of racers who want to participate (goal will be to not exclude anyone who wants to race)
Cost/car = $20.00
Due date = May 1, 2018
Format - 8 races / routed wood tracks - 4 in the US / 4 in Canada
One class; all cars race together

How is that looking to everyone?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:38 pm

I think the 911 only ran in one race in 73. It competed the day before in a 6 hr race and because the Can Am Race was the next day and was open class racing the car competed. Finished 8 th against some big block monsters of the time, and in front of some customer McLarens.

I say rear tire width should be just about open or at least scale. These Can Am cars packed massive rear tires.

A 911 RSR can handle a large set of rear tires.

Ok with just one entry as well if it is necessary to keep the field manageable and allow more to participate.

Fantasy schemes OK?
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Allan, what about an RSR class along with the other Can Am cars. My RSR will never compete with my 908, 907 or 917, could be my building skills, .....definitely my skills. I would love to run it in a proxy as it may cause havoc for other 911s. And of course #59 if we run a RSR class and the Lola will stay home.
Last edited by Brumos RSR on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 pm

Last edited by chrisguyw on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby alexis in greece » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:07 pm

alexis in greece
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi Alexis, No that was an oversight on my part; thanks for raising the point. Resin bodies are fine.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:21 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to MRollingThunder Can-Am Proxy 2018