[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Foam removal/replacement video

Foam removal/replacement video

Let's build the big ones!

Foam removal/replacement video

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:32 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Foam removal/replacement video

Postby btaylor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Great video Harry. Easy peasy way to get some grip!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Z-carfan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Love it!!! Great info Harry!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 pm

NOTICE:

Any wheels you can't save are my meat. I use a lathe to cut the old foams off and I precision glue urethanes in their place, sometimes trimming back the rim for a narrower tire/wheel, like for jalopies. I will pay for bagfuls of dead foams mounted on aluminum. I have been doing this for a long time, and I am almost out of dead foams to enlist. What people call "take offs" and dump in a bag is what I want! I'm open to mounting whatever tire you send with the lot, and I will choose the best wheels for your tires, in trade for say, 3 times the number of takeoffs. Your shipping to me, my shipping back to you. You can cram the takeoffs in whatever box you want, and I will pad your new shoes when I send them back.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby gascarnut » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:10 pm

The easiest way to remove stubborn foam is to soak the wheel and tire in lacquer thinners overnight. This loosens the glue and the rubber will slide right off.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:28 am

Well, yes for those tires that actually have any glue to them. These older H&R fronts I have been working with have just what I show. Literally nothing so I don't bother soaking.

HOWEVER, you are dead on correct of course, and maybe I should show that process as well for those that need/want it. Thank you sir.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:19 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Great set of tutorial videos Harry!
Thanks for sharing!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Used the method shown in the second video today, as my foams were "fresh" from SSC and were not looking to come off...
Thirty minute soak in a sealed coffee can of lacquer thinner and they came off like butter! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HRWJim » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm

If you don't want to use the thinner another solvent that will work is 91% alcohol. Did not have the thinner on hand and thought I would try it and it worked. I gave it about the same amount of time.
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Yes sir Mr. Jim! That does the trick. Thanks for doing the test and report.

Now let's see how that old Stang places.

When YOU had it, a top 2 in the podium was normal.

Then suddenly, in my hands I was a black flag magnet. Hmmmmm, driver? :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HRWJim » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:08 am

It was top 2 because you and I were the only ones in the race. That car will do well. You're a master at making H&R and Pro Track cars perform.
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Taylor 1/24 TA Proxy 2018