[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Uncommon Group 7 Cars

Uncommon Group 7 Cars

All about the next generation of our hobby. From vendors to independent artists.

Uncommon Group 7 Cars

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:39 pm

All.....

I am looking for a list of Group 7 or similar cars for an expansion on a CanAm field. Many of the CanAm cars are relatively available. Strombecker made several, the Lolas / Chaparrals / McLarens / Porsches are available. Dave made the lovely Nissan R381.

But what about the earlier and later Nissans? What about the Toyota 7 variants (at least 3)? What about the various Matich cars from Australia? Other NZ or OZ Group 7 cars? Probably in that 67-70 era.....

I am interested in the cars, and I know several show up as models on the auction site periodically. But ultimately I am interested in finding STL files for them even if they are taken from video game skins. I don't mind hollowing out a solid CAD model if I can get an unusual car that wouldn't otherwise be available.

I am NOT trying to compete with CG.....their CanAm cars are fantastic, and I am not intending to do any sort of production or to make race winning rockets. But I would like to have a wide variety of CanAm / Group 7 cars that I can use on my track.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Uncommon Group 7 Cars

Postby slothead » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:25 am

I'm not familiar with the term Group 7, but when I saw you are interested in Can-Am cars from the golden era ('66 - '75) my eyes glazed over and I started thinking about the 21 cars I acquired over the last year for my own replica series. It all began with a HSRR McLaren M8D I bought from a HRW post. Then I added Porsche 908's (Fly), 917/10 & 917/30 (Carrera), more McLarens (Monogram, Carrera, Slot.It), Lola T70's (Monogram), Ferrari 312's (Policar & Sloter), Alpha Romeo 33/3's (Slot.it), Chaparral 2E's (Slot.it), and finally Shadow DN4 (CG Slotcars). I didn't do the same level of rigorous research I did with cars in my Trans Am series, but I'm confident all of the cars I have ran in a sanctioned Can-Am race from that era and was driven by the driver I have listed for it.

None of these may qualify as uncommon, but these have become my favorite set of cars and are both fast and fun to drive as well as being good ambassadors for one of the best racing series ever. I hope scans of all these cars are done so even after the RTR versions are no longer available hobbyists will still be able to create replicas.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:23 am

chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks Allan - part of my ignorance stems from having a singular focus on American race cars from the mid 60's to mid 70's. I grew up in a Ford family and it began with the Mustang and (Mercury) Cougar, then blossomed when Ford created the GT40 and went Ferrari hunting. Carroll Shelby was a hero of mine as were Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones. Following top drivers lead me to learn about Can-Am where others like Donohue and Revson were racing incredible cars. I never had much interest in Porsche or Ferrari except as the cars the Fords and Chaparrals competed against.

Chappyman66 - did the Toyota 7 race in the Can-Am series from the 60's - 70's? When watching videos and checking out photos I've seem cars I didn't recognize, and didn't know what make they were. Can you post a photo of the Toyota or other Can-Am cars you are interested in? While Lolas, McLarens, Porsche/Audis, and finally Shadows dominated the series back then, there had to be other impressive cars I've missed that would be great additions to my series too.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:51 pm

You know why Ford went hunting Ferrari back in the day - right?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 pm

The Toyota 7, in any of it's forms, never ran in the CanAm series. Nor did the Nissan R381/382/383. Bother were built to the Group7 regulations but raced in Japan. There was also the Interserie races in Europe although many of those were run with McLaren and Porsche cars.

The McLaren influence extended to Frank Matich who built at least one car (Matich SR3) and ran in the CanAm as well as Australian championship. There is another car with points up front similar to the early Ford J car but I can't remember it and my Lyons CanAm book is under the track somewhere....

The Toyota and Nissan cars are on YouTube of course.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 am

Yeah Allan - something about a failed negotiation when Ford was going to buy Ferrari. When Enzo wanted to keep control of the race team and Mr. Ford wanted to run it. Racing history was going to be made from either outcome. If the deal had gone through I might be driving a Ferrari by Ford today.

Thanks for the Toyota and Can-Am info. I'd never seen Toyota or Nissan associated with cars in the Can-Am series and wondered if I'd missed something.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby WB2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 pm

WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:43 pm

I don't think it's the Caldwell D7....the photos I have seen of that are more flat nosed.....
This was almost Speed Racer-like. Gonna have to get the book out.....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer1h » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:26 pm

It was probably the Wolverine.....ran can am in 66.....2 pointy pods!
racer1h
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:14 pm

chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby red73mustang » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Would love to see a 1/32 scale High Wing Lola T163 (not the ugly T160 that Strombecker did) Also Missing even though they're variants of the McLaren M6 are Dan Gurney's "McCleagle", H & M's McLaren 429 er as well as the GT 40 based Ford G7 Can Am. Another obscure Can Am favorite of mine was the 4 - engine MAC'S-IT ROTAX SPECIAL
red73mustang
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:51 pm

I couldn't resist the offer from Nimrod so I got busy on the Mclaren M6GT, expanded the body to fit a scale 96.5" wheelbase, added an Interior and now the chassis, side pods, and interior are printing as I push on these little keys.
and a view looking up.
I would be lost without a computer, CAD program, and a 3d Printer.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby -Nimrod- » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:04 pm

FANTASTIC!!! work there Mate
Can't wait to see it printed

Cheers
NimROD
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 3D Slot Forum