[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1951 Belanger Special WIP

1951 Belanger Special WIP

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

1951 Belanger Special WIP

Postby mattb » Sun May 01, 2016 2:11 pm

I can't get enough of the mid century Indy cars! I like the looks of the Belanger Special and wanted to model the car from 1951 that was a Kurtis Roadster. I thought I would just make up a Strom Dirt Track body, paint it dark blue and decal it and I would have another vintage Indy car. Looking at pictures I could tell the dirt tracker is not even close to correct. Seems that no currently or ever made model kit is close. A friend sent me a set of Clidinst scale drawings and a resin body he took from a mold he made from a true scale Belanger made by one of the Indy car resin guys. That body is too narrow to really make a competitive car, the motor has to set on a side edge to even fit.

I ended up taking two of the Monogram PC1 Midget racer bodies and cutting them up to make a somewhat true scale body. Luckily I also had scale drawings to go by. After 5-6 hours of cutting, gluing, body filler and sanding I got something pretty close. Threw together my simple chassis style and maybe after some more putty and sanding I will ready to get the body in rubber and make something that will hold up to actual racing. The Belanger is a beautiful old car.

P1010006.JPGP1010002.JPGlee-wallard-1951 belanger spcial.jpg
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1951 Belanger Special WIP

Postby patwa » Sun May 01, 2016 4:25 pm

PM received, Cheers. Gentlemen, It would seem that we are stricken with the same disease.
I love where your build is going and look forward to seeing its journey.
A couple of pics to show the depth of my problem.
Shh, they are digital. :shhh:

patwa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun May 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Nice track, must be fun to get a couple Indy cars sliding around. I notice you have partially banked corners. Wouldn't it be nice if Carrera made banked track about half of the angle they now have?
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Beast Lee » Sun May 01, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this one...
Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun May 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Just outstanding effort.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Sun May 01, 2016 9:22 pm

VERY Cool project!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby mattb » Fri May 13, 2016 2:04 pm

P1010004.JPGP1010006.JPGP1010002.JPGCut up the model kit wheels to make wheel inserts last nite and molded a couple sets. Painted them this morning and now glued in and this project is done. Paint is metallic which I know is not right for a 1951 Indy car, but I just love that color and the only person I have to please is myself!!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri May 13, 2016 7:04 pm

" but I just love that color and the only person I have to please is myself!!!"

Amen!

I think it looks fantastic. Well done Matt, this is a truly special build.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri May 13, 2016 7:32 pm

That turned out SHARP!!!
Two thumbs up sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby mattb » Sat May 14, 2016 9:16 am

I made a mold of the body, grille and the wheel inserts. I might build one or two more, maybe with a milder motor to play with at home. Like all of you I need more cars for home! I am not sure what other cars used a similiar body. Frank Kurtis designed/built this body for 51. In 52 the #98 Agajanian won the race and it was a larger body, but it would probably look OK with the white body/red flames on this body.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Sat May 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Stunning job mattb, nice car
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby reel55 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Great job - how does it drive?
reel55

Postby mattb » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:26 pm

It's not bad for what it is. The center of gravity is fairly low but is still isn't like the 60's era Indy cars I build. It is a little better then the old Strombecker Dirt Track bodies cars I build. I could actually set it up for all left hand turns and stick to driving on an oval track. Offset tread does really help. Heavy left side axle tubes, offset wheels, tire stagger, there are a few things to make an open wheel car better on oval tracks. If I was serious about racing this I could fine tune it, but none of my group race on oval tracks.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby reel55 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:39 am

As long as you enjoy it - that's what counts!!!!
reel55

Postby bill from nh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:47 am

Matt, the car looks great! :) What sort of chassis design & motor did you put underneath it?
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale