[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Build tips for Monogram Indy cars

Build tips for Monogram Indy cars

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Build tips for Monogram Indy cars

Postby btaylor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 am

I have some folks ask about the conversion of the Monogram 80's indy models into slots. It is fairly easy, and does not require any special work. So I am posting some tricks I have found to make them work good and look good too..
First up is the main motor bulkhead modification. You need to angle cut the chassis for body clearance.
The front axle holder needs to be trimmed off to the front hole, then the uprights rounded to look good and clear the plastic A arms from the kit.
I put two screws in the chassis,leaving three holes forward of the motor bulkhead. That sets the wheelbase on these. I then solder it in place, and remove the bolts. Put a shim of some kind under the chassis at the joint, and re heat the solder to let the chassis drop. this will give you a nice ride height, and does not effect handling at all. the guide mount can be bent down to make up for the angle.
The assembled body will need cut away in the axle area to allow body removal after the car is built. you can skip this step if you don't mind removing the axle for maintenance.
The underside of your completed body should be cutaway to look like this.
The rear section of the body will need cutaway also, just to clear the tires you are using. trim close, and it wont look to bad and is hardly noticeable.
A test fit will show if you need to file the top of the front frame rails to allow more drop in front. this one needed about a 1/32 off. I used a dremel sanding drum.
Anyway, I hope this will help some of you building one of these. I encourage all to build one, as they are truly one of the fastest most fun cars I have ever built.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Build tips for Monogram Indy cars

Postby Z-carfan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Well now you've gone an done it Bob, I have to order me a H&R this weekend. :)

What set are you using? Are you adding larger rears?
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Z, i buy the rubber tired version with the lightning motor. Those wheels have the ribs. PG or shotgun Dave tires work great. I need to look and see what the stock number is .
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:58 pm

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Excellent information Bob, thank you.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Z-carfan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:17 pm

My wife is going to be unhappy about this, but thank you for the info Bob! Great stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Bigtwin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Great information Bob! Thanks! If I can just get my pal Kozo to finish his vac former, maybe a built motor or something to cover the ring gear area.
Bigtwin

Postby btaylor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:11 am

I thought about that too. I have a vac machine, and some kit transaxles. Maybe i could mate the two and come up with something! Shoyld not be able to see much other than the transaxle though.
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale