[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/24 brass chassis

1/24 brass chassis

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

1/24 brass chassis

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:16 pm

With all the talk about 124 scale Can Am, I decided to open up some old boxes to see what I might be able to put together.

Even though a scratch built chassis is not allowed, I decided to make one up any way. Found some really good old stuff so I put it all together this afternoon

Made an adjustable Inline with a drop guide. Using Cox wheels and even found some good rubber. Found four differentials that I had purchased some time ago and never used, so what the heck added one of those as well. Using an Avant orange can which is about 23,000 rpm at 12 volts. Differential makes cornering very smooth with no wheel hop. I have a 1/25 scale Camaro kit, but as this isn't being entered I have a resin McLaren I did up years OK, so I might use it in that.

I knew this stuff would be useful sometime
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/24 brass chassis

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:32 pm

I dig that brass differential! Very cool! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Z-carfan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 pm

That is really sharp.
I’m hoping that this Trans Am 1/24 proxy opens up the chassis build for us that want more 1/24 hard bodied racing.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:30 am

Very cool B!!

2 questions:
1] I’m digging those silver collars you use for your adjustable chassis...are they soldered to one side of the tubing and then you can slide the other side of the tubing into it and tighten it down with that set screw to set your wheel distance?? If so, then you can reuse this chassis for another body by just loosening the set screws and sliding it back and forth?? What size are those collars??

2] Not being a car guy...what are the “differentials”?.

Thanks in advance!! :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:42 am

Yes , I bore out the collet to the correct size so it is a press fit on to the square tubing. Using flux I then heat up the join and let the solder weep into it. This allows an adjustable chassis to fit varying car bodies.

The differentual allows the rear wheels to totate at different speeds. When going around a corner the outside rear wheel has to travel a greater distance then the inside rear. On a solid axle slot car tire grooming is used to combat wheel hop, and works well enough that rear diffs never really caught on. I bought these years ago and decided I would use one. Cornering is smooth but there is a little more gear noise as the differential does what it is supposed to do.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Planning on doing that for drag chassis that I am building, plan on using square tubing for the chassis also, figure it will make it a little stiffer also
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Will also be able to make it adjustable for different wheel base cars
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Wasn't thinking about the collars, was planing on using different o.d. square brass tubing, figured it would make the frame stiffer, the chassises were for dragsters , the way I was going to make them was so you could have any wheel base you wanted
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Basically that is what I have done. Square brass tubing that slides inside larger square tubing. The collars are soldered on the larger tubing. They are there for the sole purpose of tightening down the sliding section.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:25 pm

I was just going to solder them together when I get the correct wheel base down.
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Well that is always an option. But once soldered it really is no longer adjustable any more at that point. I contemplated doing that, but for this 1/24 chassis, I really wanted the flexibility to use it on different bodies.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am

But can't you just re-heat the solder and slide them apart ? At least that was what I was thinking. It would be like copper water piping, when you sweat solder them together. you should be able to heat up the joint and be able to pull them apart
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:32 am

At least that was how I saw it , maybe I am going into the wrong direction with it. Only time will tell.
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Look for those collars in the R/C section of your hobby store, they're from DuBro.
They come in many different sizes, with a set screw adjustable by a .050" hex wrench, same as modern slot car wheels and gears.
I use them at one end of the 1/8" front axles on my hard body cars to allow for independent spinning front wheels. -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:07 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale