Done at last! My biggest 1/24th!

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Re: Done at last! My biggest 1/24th!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:06 pm

:D And if it was butt prints on the windows that would have been a good touch :D
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:56 am

Before the guests arrived, the 3 of us masked off everything we didn't want painted. Took more time than I ever thought. It took 3 Memphis newspapers just to cover all those windows.

There are pictures of the 3 of us with the car, and assorted females including Linda. She used to gather up girls and drive over to introduce us all... and the car. I'm not going to go digging around to find them, because: 1.) they are very blurry and washed out, 2.) They were Polaroids and they might well be blank by now, 3.) I remember my hair and clothes in that picture set, and I look like Jesus right down to the sandals, the guys just got off work (construction), look like street debris, and the girls- well, I hate to think what they would look like today- its been 47 years.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dge467 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Real cool Rob!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:30 am

OK, my question is, how does she handle on the track, I mean I figure she isn't the fastest thing on the track but does it move
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am

I intentionally over powered it, so in a straight line, it is tremendously fast, much faster than I am comfortable with. If you catch a curve just right, the swing out is all the way across the next two lanes. I will put a less powerful motor in. You should see the amp meter shoot up from a standing start, until the hot little motor gets going. Automatic cooling fans I didn't know were there in the power supply whoosh to life, the earth moves, geysers spring up, and the girl in the back of the hearse jiggles. This goofy thing is fun.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks for sharing all of this! Great car and even better reflections on the era it's a memento of. I'm all about honoring the past which got us where we are today. Not to get too psychological, but we are the sum of our experiences and memories.

What about putting a little speaker and mp3 player inside so some tunes from the day can be heard as it makes its way around the track? If you make a video consider Canned Heat's 'Goin up in the Country' for background music.

Peace.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:09 pm

That was my Theme song in those days! "Goin' up the country, got to get away!" The song was a few years old when all this Cadillac craziness happened, but you still heard it all the time. I was in high school when Canned Heat came on the scene, and we just about wore out an 8 track tape of the first album.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby historiceng » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Just read above about Canned Heat and just had to You Tube it in another tab..... reminds me of an old purple VW camper and windsurfing in the early 80's, we played that song, along with Eagles, over and over...
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale