[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/24 Vintage sprint car build " Finished!"

1/24 Vintage sprint car build " Finished!"

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

1/24 Vintage sprint car build " Finished!"

Postby btaylor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Ended up waiting on a parts order to finish up my trans am series. Casting tires every four hours. nothing to do in the meantime! So, I pulled out one of my many Monogram Midget kits, and decided to do something I had wanted to try for quite some time. These are great kits, and everyone knows I have built my fair share of these already, but I wanted to build a vintage sprint car. Fitting up the original body, I got out the dremel and went at it. I sectioned the front of the cowl, and cut off the nose piece. I dropped the Grill area down about a 1/4". that looked like a good start, so I cut off that much of the front cowl section. all this was done at the factory seams, so its hard to tell its been modified when done. I then angle sanded the hood front and back, and placed it all together with a drop of super glue. Looked pretty good to me, so I started soldering up a chassis and building all the bars that go with this type build. I used one of my resin drivers, some custom rear wheels Razor Jon made me a while back. I added some wheel inserts from the monogram Kurtis Indy car, as they have the right look for these vintage sprints. This is what I have so far. not much left to do but small stuff.
Last edited by btaylor on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 1/24 Vintage sprint car build

Postby RBPhillips » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Holey moley, I think you just inspired twenty guys to go for Monogram midgets and try to build one!
RBPhillips

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 pm

WOW! That turned out GREAT!
Bob - you are definitely a machine! Every time I turn around, you are posting about another cool build!
My hat is off to you sir!
Keep up the great work!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby btaylor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:02 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby historiceng » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am

Bob,

I can't get enough of these... this is so cool and I love vintage sprint cars. I've never seen a complete 1:1 car for real, but they are just so cool.
Keep sprint car posts coming please.
(I am trying to build a copper body 1/32 car at the moment, I made the wooden buck quite a while ago, to try and make some kind of vac form tool, but since finding HRW I don't want a vac form body any more!).

The trouble is, these kits are quite limited in England. I should watch e.bay more closely.
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:56 am

Eric, More sprint car posts wont be a problem. I am taking down my old road course, and replacing it with another oval. With that comes the many builds that are my favorites. I will be making a dirt oval, like my last one, and it will be filled with Jalopy's, vintage sprint cars and probably more midgets as well. Since all my cars in both scales seam to like my routed wood road course, there is no need for the old plastic one anymore. My grandkids have learned to drive without magnets now, so that makes it even easier to get rid of it.
Look for a bunch more posts of Dirt oval racers in the very near future.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby historiceng » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 pm

That is music to my ears Bob, Thank you !
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 pm

WOW! Very nice!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 am

Well I finished this one. I want to go back and redo the brass seat rivets, as they got big on me after application. but otherwise done and dusted! Totally scratch built frame, Runs and handles like a dream. On to the next build I guess?
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 1/24 Vintage sprint car build " Finished!"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:06 am

HA! Yeah, Bob is the one who controls kit pricing...figured we all knew that :)

I would be interested in a mod article. I built mine from the kit as is and just followed the bar/chassis design from the kit. BUT as we know it won't hang with your builds on race day.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: 1/24 Vintage sprint car build " Finished!"

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale