[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Why 1/24th scale?

Why 1/24th scale?

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Re: Why 1/24th scale?

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:48 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby woodguy32 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:12 am

Vintage.. if you really want to get HUGE and I could run two on my track, How about 1/10 and 1/12 scale RC carpet cars.. tons of parts.. steering and even vintage bodies..Hmm easy build really

I know you have a Huge Charlie J Car that you hand Built which is AMAZING. how about that with a Guide and a track.. Oh MY..

Wood
woodguy32

Postby Czar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 am

Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:14 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Last edited by Vintage 1/24 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Czar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:10 am

Those of you who want to talk about big scale cars can have this thread now. I am finished with it.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby OctagonSpirit » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:48 am

I grew up at 1/24th scale commercial tracks and that's always been what I've most readily identified as a "slot car" even as I've grown and have included a broad spectrum of racing into my repertoire.

These days, I race (on occasion) in travelling 1/24th scale commercial series, operate a commercial shop for 1/24th and 1/32nd scale cars, and decompress by slowly lapping 1/32nd scale cars at home on an old Strombecker layout. I have a few stock and a few tuned/custom HO cars (gravity and magnet) and run them when I get the chance, and I even have built a handful of 1/24th scale drag cars for the fun of having them.

My next two projects are to get involved in 1/24th scale "model car" racing, through Plafit, Scholer, ScaleAuto, and (ultimately) either NdW or DoSlot AND to do some 1/32nd scale 24 Hour Enduros with some of my friends from the series in which I race.

I can't exactly explain what the appeal is, other than that I love the sport and the hobby and its many facets challenge and enthrall me. I may never contend the A-Main at the USRA Group 7 Nats, or place on the podium at an OEPS race, but I want to get as close to that as possible.

Heck, you all can count on me racing at the 2015 R4!
OctagonSpirit

Postby Czar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Jeremy, but I just don't think 1/24th has much appeal for me anymore. Two years ago when I re-built my track I bought three commercial type 1/24 cars with brass chassis: A "Ferrari F1", a "Sports Car" and a Legends coupe. The re-build took a year and I wanted to race so I bought the cars and rented time at a local commercial track. Driving these cars didn't move me. So I tried the Carrera cars on my home track and as I said, that was less than fun. I really like my 1/32 cars. They are like little jewels. As I said initially, I am not trying to change anyone's mind, so thanks to everyone who tried to explain what they liked about 1/24th cars, but I will continue to buy and race 1/32nd.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Whatever scale/type delivers what YOU like is all that matters.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby GoBucks » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:10 pm

I ,,like others started racing when the only item out there was commercial tracks. I run both scales. However as one gets a bit older, with the larger scale of 1/24th it makes the cars and parts a whole lot easier to see and work with. If your not yet there (with age), you will be some day.
GoBucks

Postby Czar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm 66 years-old. I can still tie a fly on a #20 hook, with readers. I think I will just use brighter colors on my little cars. Harry, I agree with you. That is why I said from the beginning that I wasn't trying to change any minds. I really was hoping I could reconnect with that raw juvenile excitement the 1/24th cars used to have. But, times change, people change, I think I gave it a fair shot; I like 1/32nd better.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GoBucks » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:50 pm

I think its a great subject!!!!! Only other reason that comes to mind is my track back straight is over 30 ft long and the extremely fast 1/32 cars end up with extensive damage at those high speed. The 1/24 are a bit slower resulting in far less damage and time in the pits. Maybe I should learn how to slow down, or shorten my track.....nah! Why 1/24th? Why any scale? Because slot racing is a BLAST!!!!
GoBucks

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:02 am

My very quick and very unscientific polling of Ebay> Toys & Hobbies> Models % Kits> Automotive found the following results:
1/32 - 3,299 listings
1/25- 33,467 listings
1/24- 27,146 listings

If you lump 1/25 & 1/24 together as many do due to their similarity in size, there are over 60,000 listings compared to 3,299 in 1/32. If you are into kit bashing that is a big difference in the amount of choice that you have. Now if you did the same for RTR slot cars, your results would be reversed making 1/32 the wider choice in that category.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:29 am

I think the population of kit bashers is massively dwarfed by the number of slot racers (even serious slot racers) who don't kit bash so I don't quite see the relevance. Modifying a slot car is standard practice for the majority of slot racers, but adapting a model body into a slot racer isn't that common anymore. What did your research show about slot car listings, otherwise this is apples and oranges.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby indybob007 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:15 am

I find 1/32 scale much more fun and better racing on a home track. I do like 1/24 scale if it is like a Blue King track or other larger commercial type track with wing cars or Parma flexi type Lexan bodies. Most home just do not have the space for large track so the 1/32 just works better. I own some Carrera 1/24 cars and they look great and are fun to drive 'but I much prefer the speed of slot-it cars and other 1/32 cars. To me these guys racing big 1/24 digital cars on a small track at turtle speeds BORING and just looks out of place. Just my take. Indybob
indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale