Group 5 Proxy - 2020 edition - what are your thoughts?

Group 5 Proxy - 2020 edition - what are your thoughts?

Postby F1Fan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 am

Hi fellow Group 5 Proxy racers.

They say don't fix something that ain't broke......but maybe a bit of tuning from time to time will keep things fresh.

Can you perhaps post your comments on this idea below.

To change the cars (bodies) from Group 5 cars to Modern (after 2010) GT3 cars for next year....start 2020 with something slightly different?

The rules will remain the same, (rubber, any chassis, plastic body etc) and the cars will have to be on an approved list, but this will include cars like: (just a few off the top of my head)

NSR - Aston Martin, Audi R8, Corvette, BMW Z4, Porsche GT3
ScaleAuto - R8, Corvette, Dodge Viper, Z4, Mercedes GT3, R8
Scalextric - Bentley, McLaren, Mercedes, Maserati, Porsche, Aston Martin, Ferrari
Sideways - Lamborghini
Blackarrow - Lamborghini, Ferrari
Ninco - Ferrari Lamborghini

Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings, but what are your thoughts?

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Group 5 Proxy - 2020 edition - what are your thoughts?

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:21 am

I would be ok with that as this will turn into a BMW shootout as we continue to evolve. You can even include Carrera on this list as we don't know what the future holds.( I'm looking at a 488 as I type this while holding a GT3 Porsche)
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:30 am

OK I see the cars we are currently running were raced from 1976-1982. Is the goal to race cars currently close to the present era? Since the genre of cars were never may mainstay it has been a learning curve for me. I will compete/ try to compete no matter what the cars are. GT3 and DTM seems to be what most companies are producing now so it seems reasonable that the interest would move that way.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am

I would certainly be interested in a series like this, especially if the body list is expanded to include the GT3 range from The Area 71 and Black Arrow.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Smokeio » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:41 am

Just when I'm getting the hang of this series, you want to go ahead and change it? No. Nope. No, no, no. What part of no don't you understand? N......O......., no. And I certainly don't want to do anything Dennis wants. I vote for just the opposite of Dennis.

OK, if you have to change, I support it. This has been an extremely competitive series so if you base it on your same rules package, it should another successful series. Count me in.
Smokeio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Aloha » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:53 pm

What an interesting idea.
I have mixed emotions. That said i still would like to support the Group 5 program. I know that additional Group 5 bodies are to come out, if my recollection is correct we should see at least a Celica body from Sideways.
There is no doubt there is an evolution of chassis technology being used in the event and the cars continue to get better.
I would suggest that we stay with the existing format.
Would there be room for both to run in the course of the year, six months for Group 5 and six months for GT3...just thinking
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tequila Kid » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Since we are discussing changes to the series, I would like to see just one year that we run the current cars but with Urethane Tires. I think it would be an interesting comparison IMHO. It would narrow up the field some more I'm betting. Would also help reduce the factor of Who's the best Tire Tuner, to who's the best car Tuner.

Since this is basically a Spec tire class already ( NSR ) I do not see any issue with running a Urethane Spec seriers. Everyone has to run PG tires. We might even be able to get some sponsorship ( Free tires? ) from Paul. We all run similar sizes, so he could supply some 20 x 12's. He could probably even mold them with identifying marks in the sidewall. IE: Group 5. That should take care of "Cheater tires ", such as the fabled Ortmans.

Speaking of Ortmans. Really, we are all adults here. If someone wants to cheat with a " Secret Tire "... well they are only cheating themselves.

Why do I push for Urethanes? They just aren't affected as much by Dirty tracks, cold temperatures or no " Rubbering In " of the track. It would certainly save the organizers some time. No more rubbering lanes for hundreds of laps with Rubber tired " Ghost cars ". Urethanes are also much less affected by changes in Track temperature. And finally, at least with PG Urethanes, I feel they are MUCH more consistent in batch quality than NSR rubber tires. Urethane tires don't " cure " in the package like rubber tires ( from what I've heard and observed ) ". NSR's just lack consistency BNIB period.

I think it would be an interesting and Valid comparison. Just my .02c.
Tequila Kid

Postby Tequila Kid » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:37 pm

As far as the Body question. I really like the Group 5 " Silhouette Era " . They were just Bad Ass cars through and through. Somehow the newer GT cars just don't excite me as much.

I'd still run a Zakspeed Capri or Lancia over a BMW 320 any day. To me those type of cars just rocked the " Attitude Era " of the late 70's and 80's...

Newer stuff just leaves me .... Meh.
Tequila Kid

Postby Tequila Kid » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:42 pm

One class change that WOULD excite me would be IMSA GTP from the 1980's ( Damn the 80's were good for racing ). Can you imagine a full fields of NISSAN GTP's, Lola T600's, Intrepids, Corvette GTP, Ford probe, March Lobster Claws, Porsche 935K Long Tails, Porsche 962's And Toyota Eagles?

Edit: Forgot the Jaguar GTP cars . Gorgeous cars.

I'd buy that for a Dollar!!!! :banana-dance:
Last edited by Tequila Kid on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tequila Kid

Postby steeveew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:43 pm

GT3 series would be cool.
Any chance of running it, and GRP 5 cars, as separate series ?
Either way I'm in.

Steve
steeveew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:08 pm

GT-3 would be good for me - a chance to run an Audi R8 is always attractive...………….. Agree with Tony (brumosRSR) that the current field is pretty much dominated by BMW M1's and 320i's, and for good reasons.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:52 pm

Chris,
I counted the BMW M1s there are 13 in the field and 5 BMW 320s. So that is 18 out of 24 cars. My question is how are the M1s that much different from the Capri, Mustang or Lancia? The bodies look very similar. I know the first year I enter there were some Porsche 935s that seem to have disappeared. I ran the Moby Dick Porsche that first year. Was told to much rear overhang. But since I don't have any other Racer cars to compare my M1 to was just curious as to is there that much difference? It must be something for 13 entries to be M1s.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:33 pm

I would have no issues with a switch to GT3 body styles, actually, think it is a good idea.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 pm

Please keep your comments coming, it appears that there is some interest, to get a final vote I might share a survey towards the end of the week. I am sure we will not please all the current entrants, but I will try my best.

Just to confirm, the rules will be the same, only the body shape will change, and these will have to be on the approved list.

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Hmmm... torn between the options on this :think:. I really do like Group 5 sturm und drang cars more than the more modern GT3s, but as a few previous posts have mentioned, the trend toward a very limited variety in models now being entered is troubling. I don't know whether this is by chance, conscious design or just unwitting imitation of previously successful entries, but the result is a pretty narrow range of models. So in the interest of injecting some variety, I guess I'm OK with going to GT3 bodies.

Now lessee what I got stashed away... an unbuilt Slot.it McLaren white kit; ... ah, here's the green machine MrSlotcar McLaren from the Canadian Proxy a couple years ago, could probably buff that up; ... wonder if Christian at SCC Canada has anything left in his closing out sale?

cheers
Scott
GT6

Next

Return to Group 5 Proxy 2019