[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series Tire reference

DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series Tire reference

The legendary proxy race.

DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series Tire reference

Postby k0z0oo1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:22 pm

k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series Legal Tires referance

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:26 pm

I was semi interested until I read the tire rule. Any reason why Paul Gage tires are not allowed seeing that they're urethane as well? Just curious more than anything.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby k0z0oo1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:00 pm

k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:26 pm

k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series Tire reference

Postby REL13 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm

I would like to see no tire change in COY this year, Because It's the last season we will be running these cars and we already have to repower the cars. We can use the motors for a few seasons, But not so sure about the tires. Just my opinion. REL13 :twocents-mytwocents:
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm

REL I agree with no tire change. You should be able to get 2 seasons out of a pair of Yellow Dogs. I think I'm putting new skins on mine this year. When we ran ovals only the right rear would wear out first. UM maybe that's why I haven't been finishing up front. New Tires New Tires.

Which tire is better? In the 2017 HRW TransAm Proxy I had 3 cars entered. 2 with Yellow Dogs 1 with Paul Gage. Now the Paul Gage shoed car had a SCX 42B motor where the other 2 cars had 18K Pioneer and Hawk motors. In a field of 42 cars all cars finished in the upper half. The Cuda on Paul Gage tires finished 20th. The other cars finished 16th and 22nd. So considering that the under powered Cuda on PG tires finished ahead of a Pioneer powered Camero I'll let you make your own assumptions.

Well the gearing on the Camero was way to low so throw what you see out of the window. 3.27 vs 2.45

Did some more digging. 2018 Cars for HRW 2018 TramsAm Proxy. Rule change all cars limited to the Piranha Motor Gear ratio of 2.89 on the Yellow Dog car 2.75 on the Paul Gage car. On my track 20 Laps on the Yellow Dogs 57.06 secs Fast Lap 2.78 secs. 20 Laps on the PG tires 57.84 secs. Fast Lap 2.62 secs. Now the PG car was 14 grams lighter. So I would say the tires are about the same. Both cars SCX Cuda. The PG car was on an Olifer 3D chassis as well as being lighter.

Now in the only round run last year the PG Cuda finished in 8th place. The YD car had a gear issue causing it to finish 30th but had a faster fast lap than the PG car. Had about equal laps per lane until the gear let go in one lane.

So I would say from that the tires are about equal. These being the PGT and not the XPG tires.

Take it for what it is worth. 8-)
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GTOking » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:03 pm

I prefer Super Tires for the DaVols Forum Cup cars, they seem to match really well. It should be noted to newly interested racers that DFCP has been in existence for over ten years under the guidance of several dedicated series directors.

The rules have remained basic through the years with changes to keep the cars current and maintain interest. The tires were specified as Super Tire urethane early on and have remained through the 2018 season. Super Tires has remained our spec tire not because it is "better" than another urethane make but simply because they work for us and we all had them. So now, with a new year and a new host site, we have new exposure to racers with new opinions and preferences. Not an easy position for our current director, Scott K. Having said all that and stating my tire preference as Super Tires, I am open to Paul Gage Tires being included as a choice for our racers. Lets mix it up and see how it all shakes out. As for compounds, I do think only PGT, not XPGT, should be allowed. So let's have a tire war on the track!
GTOking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ALS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 am

I don't like Paul Gages I run Super Tires and Ouick Slicks on all my cars. NSRs when I can
ALS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Bopalou » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Bopalou
Like super tires
15x8 CB wheels

Consistent competition & durability.
Bopalou

Postby Aloha » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:03 pm

My two cents after a few years is to keep the brand, composition and size parameters the same.
First off urethane has been used from the proxy's inception from what i can see.
As in the real NASCAR events a specific brand is required. Whether that be PG, YD or other.
I believe that the tire width is most important factor for equal racing. I might suggest that you limit it to a 1403 - F/1405 - R for the COY and a new twist of 1402 - F/1404 - R for COT as cars can have front and rear axle heights adjusted. It would give the COT a little more tire width to work with the hotter motors that most would run.
Just thinking out loud
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ALS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Good point Dale that would be a great Test for this year .Thanks Adrian ALS
ALS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm

k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 pm

So... here's what I see from the posts so far.

Racers majority want a spec tire.
We have 5 current racers that have voiced that they prefer to keep the ST Urethane tires.
Of those 5, 2 have stated they would be OK with changing brands.
1 semi interested racer has asked about Paul Gage.

It is important to have these discussions, and I'm glad we have a working forum that everyone can post on. It really helps to keep the conversation going.

Something that I will add... The lack of a ST Urethane tire for the Scalextric Monte Carlo Aerocoupe may determine the need to switch tire brands for next year, at least for the new class. Food for thought...
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby REL13 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Scott, I don't know if you have seen the tire test that Harry has done with the new Monte Carlos. He has posted on this site. REL13
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 pm

k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series