[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 2019 Can Am Builds

2019 Can Am Builds

Re: 2019 Can Am Builds

Postby Cgyracer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:21 am

I'm mailing my car today with Express shipping or Courier, see what the post office says for quick turnaround to meet Audi1's May 1 deadline.......money will be no object !
With time a factor I decided to go with a stock Thunderslot McLaren. Usually I like to strip the body and do a custom paint but not this this year....I placed #10 decals over top of the #4 McLaren livery.

Tires- NSR Supergrip
Gearing- stock
Guide-stock
Chassis-stock with piano wire glued (wow is that chassis soft, did not know that!) :o
Pod-stock
Motor-stock

Now will that plastic pinon hold onto the motor shaft all series?! I'm taking a risk I know but it is what it is!!
Car is a good runner on my track with great times, so time will tell! :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag:
Rob

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:26 am

I didn't go crazy on the motor even though the limit was pulled for this year. On our local track the McLaren was a handful with a lot of ponies for even our veteran drivers, and it didn't lose much on the big track either. Time will tell if the right decision was made!

I didn't have enough confidence in my supergrip tire tuning yet, I think that will be the big disadvantage in the long run.

Zack
wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 pm

So I tried, honest to gosh I really tried . All the hand cut brass pieces for the chassis came out real nice, the 3D printed motor mount and guide mount fit perfectly as planned, The Dart McLaren M12 body cleaned and painted up pretty sharp. Even the super wide gumball NSR tires trued up reasonably quickly.

But she's an absolute slug :cry: . On my little test track, 4 seconds flat is a good lap but the M12 starts in the 4.5s, after much tuning it gets down to 4.20 laps ., eyeballs out and scrabbling to hang by its fingernails. When I break the sealing tape on my recently acquired Thunderslot McLaren and put it on the track without touching ANYTHING, it turns easy 3.90s while feeling glued to the track.

Sigh! Check the tires and the rears have casting divots that go down almost to the rim. C'mon that's not even fair. So break out a fresh set of NSRs, glue em on and true em up, put about 10 gms in front of the motor and that's it, 3.70s. Off she goes, another almost dead stock Thunderslot M6. Looks like Bruce will be well represented. Ah well, he was my hero back when these beasts ran in anger, so proud to have the number 4 on my entry, even if the one with all my blood, sweat and tears on it is staying home.

cheers
Scott
GT6

Postby arroldn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 am

UM am I bringing a knife to a gun fight? Do I need to order a ThunderSlot today so I can mail it Sunday? Gee Batman what's a guy to do :think:
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:23 am

Not many cars arrived yet, must be back ordered
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:33 am

I worked like hell to get my Slot.it Mclaren as fast or faster than my Thunderslot. I didn't want to mail in a stocker!
wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 am

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 am

arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 pm

I still haven't entered a car in any proxy but I really enjoy reading about the builds and the results.

As for the prowess of the Thunderslot cars compared to some custom jobs, it reminds me of what a gentleman (privateer) racer must deal with. If it was 1969 and someone had the funds to enter a Trans Am or Can Am race would it make more sense to build a car or buy one from Shelby or McLaren? Thunderslot seems to have gotten it right to the point it's hard to match their performance.

Is anyone entering a basically stock NSR car? I've never driven either, but what I've read on HRW suggests they are the best cars available.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby wanabgts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm

wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:45 pm

Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Smokeio » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 am

Smokeio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 am

Uh oh...
When Sir Smoke wants to take side wagers It doesn’t bode well for those seeking the top of the podium.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am

Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 pm

OK, my entry is now completed:

S-773 01.jpg

The body is one of DArt Hobbies excellent copies of the original Aurora Ferrari 612 shell. I modified this one to more accurately reflect how the car ran in 1971 with Jim Adams at the wheel. This meant removing the left side oil cooler an the big scoop that fed it, filling the gaping hole in the body, and then building up a rear-mounted scoop for the repositioned coolers. Decals were home printed and the roll bar home made from styrene rod.

S-773 02.jpg

From the front, guide is ScaleAuto mounted in a Samson Classics guide tube, front wheels are my own make running on double ball bearings, motor is a Piranha 25k ball bearing unit, gears are commercial 64DP, rear wheels are my last set of BWA, inserts front and rear from DArt Hobbies. REar tires are NSR Ultragrip. And yes, across the wheels it is just 62mm wide. It looks a little strange but once I get the car back I will stretch them out to the edges of the body.

S-773 03.jpg

The chassis is what we used to call a "Flexi-iso" back in the day. It has a central longitudinal hinge to allow the front and rear to pivot independently, and a lateral hinge to allow the guide to drop relative to the front axle under the torque action of the motor, much like the original Cox La Cucaracha cars. This helps when cars are raced on a number of tracks with differing braid/tape recesses.

Initial testing shows that the car is at least as quick as my Group 5 Proxy winners, so you guys are TOAST.

Except for Smokeio - he will be BURNT TOAST.

:D
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to 2019 Can-Am Proxy