My latest buy

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

My latest buy

Postby gsmea » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:02 am

Hie hie, I do not have an HO track, only scaley classic, but I came across four HO cars for R100 ($6). Two of the cars ar wrecks, but these two are the ones that caught my eye....
They are both AFX cars with magnets, the tyres are cracked and broken, one shoe is missing, so i have some work to do.

The reason I boaght them is to have fun on my scaley track. I am going to try and replace the guide and shoes with a scaley guide and do some rewiring.

I do not know these pan motors, but the should work similar to normal mabuchi motors.

I am also going make some tyres from rubber or foam rubber.

All just to have some fun.

Gavin
gsmea
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: My latest buy

Postby RichD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:54 am

You can use Slide Guides with these cars, they are made so you can run HO cars on 1/43rd, 1/32nd and 1/24th tracks. Spare parts for the cars are available from JAG Hobbies. You can also use Johnny Lightning/Auto World X-Traction parts.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:19 am

That is a good deal on a couple good looking cars! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby BIG E » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:31 pm

You've got a nice pair of classic HO slot cars to start with there. If you simply sleeve the guide pin to increase the length and diameter (or glue plastic to each side of the guide blade to increase it's size), and solder small braid (solder wick will work fine) to the pickup shoes you should be able to at least run the cars on your Scalextric track. I've had success with this method in the early 1970's running HO cars on 1/24 scale braided commercial raceways, just for fun. Of course, to replace those dry rotted tires you'll need a set of slip-on silicones for the rears, and you may as well get some for the fronts, too, or at least install some O rings that are the proper diameter. Odds are you'll probably have to reverse the positions of the magnets so the cars will run in the correct direction on your Scalextric track. Be sure you've got at least 14-22 volts DC (18-20 is best) to run those "Aurora A/FX" racers. If you're not familiar with the chassis, there are articles on this forum to show you how to set up the pickup shoes, motor brushes - and very important for "pancake motor" HO slot cars - proper lubricating techniques.
Hoping you can soon be having some FUN... Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gsmea » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:49 am

Thanx a mill for all the inputs and advice. I appreciate it.
I did take the one car apart..... And springs and flew all over the place. Hahahaha..... An hour later I managed to find all the parts... Cleaned up everything and put it back together again. Started her up and she is running smoothly at 14 volts. Now that I know they are running, will start to add a guidepost for the guide and then do the soldering part.
Just hope I dont have to look for those small springs......
Gavin
gsmea
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:23 am

Yeah, Gavin -- one of us forum members should have warned you about the surprise with the motor brush springs! Best to work on a piece of cloth or something similar to help keep all the parts in one area. Now you're a veteran, learning the hard way on those cars the way most of us here did when we were kids! I'm hoping you can get everything going and have some FUN with your vintage A/FX cars. Please, ask away in this forum with any other questions, there are many experienced HO enthusiasts that can help out.
Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gsmea » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:05 am

Thank you Ernie. Will definitely ask if I have any questions. This what make HRW so great.
Gavin
gsmea
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Locksley » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:30 pm

They look to me like second generation AFX when they opened up the magnet pocket for better control at higher speeds. They called them Magna-traction>
Locksley

Postby BIG E » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:33 pm

You are correct, sir!
AURORA A/FX Magna Traction is what they are, and lots of fun to race, too! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mrstumpyHO » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:08 pm

HO cars have many tiny parts lurking in them, even if you're used to working in that small of a scale! I got one of my wife's old cookie sheets and glued a sheet of white mouse pad material in it. Small parts show up well and the springs don't bounce quite as much because the rubbery surface absorbs some of the spring "rebound."

Up in one corner, I glued a medicine bottle cap to hold small parts while I work on the rest of the chassis. Things that roll get stopped by the sides of the pan before disappearing off the workbench and being swallowed by the floor monster. It's a cheap and handy work area for anything small, and once done with, can be stored on edge to take up little space.

Stumpy in Ahia :character-oldtimer:
mrstumpyHO

Postby gonegonzo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:09 pm

Great tip Stumpy . I'm definately making one .

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Agreed! Great tip Stumpy!..Over the last year I've dropped (and lost) enough parts to build a car. Some where in my house, is a little mouse Christmas tree, with the GREATEST car I (n)ever built, sitting under it.
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Don't forget a couple of good pairs of tweezers, guys! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale