Slot Car Summer FUN on Long Island... HO Style!!

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Slot Car Summer FUN on Long Island... HO Style!!

Postby BIG E » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Not much action in this particular HO forum during the summer months, so I figured I'd throw in an informal report on one of the HO slot car racing group's activities I participate in here on Long Island. We've been continuing through the summer on Wednesday nights with our relaxed rules "FRACAS" series based on the Johnny Lightning/Auto World reproduction Thunderjet chassis. Low profile slip on rear tires, the same front ends the FRAY guys run, and "Detroit Iron" type bodies from Aurora, JL/AW, Dash Motorsports and maybe an odd Atlas body here and there. None of the purpose made trick resin bodies are permitted. Pick up shoes, motor brushes, rear axles and guide pins may be replaced with aftermarket pieces. The rest must remain factory stock, including those "wonderful" plastic gears! The races have been fun and competitive, without a lot of expense. The track is a 6 lane AFX (modern type) running at 18 volts with no brake circuit. Some drivers would prefer one, but it is what it is and there's no problem with that. I'm finally starting to get the handle on the set ups with these JL/AW chassis and wheel/tire combinations (I usually run only OEM Aurora chassis, TJ, AFX pancake or inline) and last night I was fortunate enough to win 3 out of 4 races (6 heats for each driver, round robin style) with my turquoise Aurora bodied '67 Ford Galaxie XL500. One of those was a dead heat with another driver, so let's say just two wins for myself. FUN!
Last weekend about 10 of us traveled out to the north fork for the first race on a club member's new beautiful 4 lane Max Trax road course. At 18 volts, with the brake circuit and mild banking on almost all of the corners, we had an absolute blast on this one of a kind track, designed by the owner himself. We also ran a race for A/FX Magna Traction or AW X-Traction stock cars, with slip on tires and stock replacement parts only. I finished a few laps back in second to our host, and really enjoyed racing my old A/FX Magna Traction cars again in actual competition. And we were all presented with an IROC race featuring Dash powered Baja Bug T-Jets, with bodies designed and cast in the lane colors by the track owner himself. Lots of laughs, and we were treated to BBQ burgers and dogs before all the races began. A big thanks to our friend and host for a great day of racing. Hopefully we can get 8-12 guys to travel out there once a month for races. I'm IN!!

A/C is good, summer slot car races are even better. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale