Low Budget Race Team

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: Low Budget Race Team

Postby Austin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm

If it runs good, put lots of laps on it.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Dragin' Wagon

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks Guys :D I plan on pretty much leaving the Wagon Body as-is. But, I plan of giving the chassis a thorough cleaning and tuning. Can't wait to get it - it will be one of my Favorites in my collection :dance:
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Dragin' Wagon

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 am

....maybe, back in the day, a little boy that rode in the back of this family Wagon, had owned a Model Motoring Slot Car just like it too :)
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Here's a little Teaser for ya...

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Later this month(or next month), when the NEW Dash '36 Coupe body(see 1st pic) comes out, I plan on getting a few for projects. And one of those projects will be, to roughly recreate the Custom '40 Chevy Gasser- Mr. Irish(seen in 2nd & 3rd pix) that I grew up around in my hometown neighborhood. PS- Previously I had recreated Mr. Irish in 1/64 Scale using a Tyco '40 Ford as the donor body(see 4th pic). But now, I want to do it in T-Jet> 1/76 scale.

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 pm

That's a great build! Looking forward to the T-Jet version.
dge467
The King of Foil

3D Printed Dirttrack Bodies

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:01 pm

:) I got a bunch of Slot Stuff in the mail today :handgestures-thumbup: And among other things, I got a couple of 3D Printed Dirttrack Bodies made by my friend- Craig Schmidt :D This is the first time I've handled a 3D Printed body, and for the life of me, I still don't understand how they are made. They are very light weight and flexible, so I don't think they will Crack easily, although because of the thinness of the shells and some of the delicate pieces like the nerf bars, I'm guessing a hard hit WILL DO Damage ?! Also of note, as many have seen, 3D Printed bodies are rough in texture, somewhat like fine grade sand paper, and will take some sanding and primering before you can lay down a finish coat of gloss. Anyway, here are some pix of the two Bodies.
PS- Note, if you remove the front nerf bar on the Gremlin, the front screw post of the body will screw onto an Original Aurora Specialty(4Gear) chassis very nicely, as the rear wheelwells line up, and the front axle extends out front just like the real 1:1 cars did. :text-bravo:

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

My Dragin' Wagon HAS ARRIVED ! :-)

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:51 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: AWESOME- is Best I can describe this old Warhorse, I'm totally Pleased with this Purchase :D
This old Vibe Body and T-Jet Chassis have so much History from the previous Owner(s), and I uncovered alot of that history when I dismantled the chassis for cleaning and tuning. First off, I don't know alot about the old Vibe Chassis, but I hear they ran HOT !? How hot ? Well....could they have melted the inside rear interior tray(see photo) ? Anyway, that damage can only really be seen from the inside of the body, and does no harm otherwise. Now for the chassis....MY Guess is, this car hadn't be run in at LEAST 40 Years ! All the Copper/brass electricals were tarnished very dark, but otherwise in pretty good shape. I noted this is a #4 Chassis, BUT- it was NOT warped when sitting on my set-up block, and all four tires sat squarely on the ground. This chassis is a hollow rivet #4, but the top plate was a older "Pat. Pending" plate with a very nice X-Mas tree arm, that cleaned up really nice, and(jumping ahead) turned out to be the fastest running X-Tree arm I've ever run across, and the three poles measured 19ohm/19ohm/18.9ohm. The brushes were totally Toast, the worst I'd ever seen- aside from ones that melted the comm pit ! I noted the Comm & Brushes suffered from over oiling, but no damage to the comm. The magnets were very weak- Black/Black jobs, and I replaced them with a set of Aurora White/Green jobs- which are still fairly weak, but I've learned that X-Mas Arms don't really respond to very Strong Magnets. Anyway, I just cleaned and polished and tweaked a few things, and swapped to some fresh NOS*carbon brushes, buttoned her up and set her on the Track with NEW Jel Claws Hot Rod Slicks(it came delivered with old Hot Rod Spongees). I run 20v with 6amps power per lane on my layouts, and when I squeezed the trigger, this old Warhorse shot off like a Rocket ! Like I said, it's THE Fastest X-Mas Tree Arm powered T-Jet I've come across to date ! Suffice to Say, I'm totally Pleased :text-bravo:

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Those are some nice bodies! The wagon cleaned up nice!
dge467
The King of Foil

3D Printed Gremlin...

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 pm

BTW- I suggested to the 3D Printer buddy of mine, about mounting the Gremlin body on an original Aurora Specialty(4Gear) chassis, by just removing the front nerf bar, and here's a pic....looks better on the stretched Chassis- don't it :)
He's now gonna redo his printing, to make a copy especially for the 4Gear also, and incorporate a set of headers on the sides as well :handgestures-thumbup:
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

My Latest SCORE ! :-)

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Friday was a good day, collecting-wise for me, with a really nice Score, at least I think so ? I may have paid a little more than I wanted to($125), but an attic find like This- doesn't come along that often, and these all looked pretty nice, 'cept for the cut wheelwells on the Ford-J car. All these cars hadn't been touched since 1971 and were found just recently in an attic after the new home owner moved in. And btw- the Complete Tyco-Pro Set IN THE BOX, was for sale too, and in decent shape, but I passed and ONLY bought the cars. And btw- every one runs, including the Vibrator !

BTW, the yellow T-Jet Mustang "Body" was carded, but is opened and was placed on the one chassis when I got it, but it was mint, so I took it off the chassis and put it back in the card, which is marked Mustang Conv. 60¢
The Card with Top plate & Arm is also opened, and that plate is the take off, and I found the NEW Top Plate with a Mean Green Arm in the Ford J Car. The card for the top plate said 25¢. The Ford J car also has AJ's old Plastic/Chrome "Indy" wheels with Large Hot Rod size silicone tires that still grip really well
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Nice score!

It is amazing what is still squirreled away in attics out there still.

Every now and then you get lucky like this and find a nice little treasure like this.

They are far and few between anymore but they pop up from time to time.

Enjoy them!

Wayne :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Attic Finds...

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Yes Wayne, it amazes me too, that there are still un-covered Treasures to be found in attics (and basements). In this case tho, the reason was a sad one. Ya see, today I went back, and was searching for the missing glass from the one Tyco-Pro Mustang (Trans-Am) car, and we DID Findthe glass, in perfect condition in the original Tyco-Pro SetBox, along with everything else from that set. He also had a brown cardboard box full of Aurora Track and stuff, to which I bought an un-opened bottle of Aurora Red Racing oil. Anyway, the sad part of the story is, why all this stuff was stored in the attic...well, I found out the Child, to whom all this belonged, Died Tragically in 1971 :( So his father just put all his toys up in the attic, and left it there untouched, until a month ago, when the new house owners un-covered it.
Btw- I'm now friends with the new home owners, and will be returning to eventually, BUY ALL the HO Slot Car stuff that was left in the attic.... The child that lost his life, will live on in the cars he left behind, as I WILL Treasure and maintain them- as well as "Play" with them !
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi Ralph,

Wow, that is a tragic story about the child loosing his life.

I can understand the parents packing the things away due to it bringing up those memories of loosing a child.

At least they found their way to someone who will take care of them and cherish them in his memory.

Almost like it was meant to be.

Again it was a very nice little collection of cars.

Glad to hear you found the window glass to the mustang since it is a harder car to find in and of itself let alone parts for it.

I don't much bother with vintage track but I do like the box art on the track sets from the past.

Makes great racing room wall art!

Again enjoy your new found treasures and new friendships you made with the new home owners!

That is what life is about love and friendship. It doesn't get any better than that!

:D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

An Early '60s Vibe... ;-)

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 pm

You guys remember the basket case '62 Galaxie Vibe Body, that was missing the roof and cracked in half ?! Well...I finally got a Roof for it, the donor roof came from a Red DASH '63 Fairlane, and I kinda like the blend of Tan and Red :) Anyway, I shot a few pix of it, along with my other Vibe bodies, and my NEW(to me) Esso Gas Station. And btw- the station is an OLD Plasticville "O" Gauge train set accessory, that actually is more HO Scale -except for the Gas Pumps and front *door- which I altererd with stickers from a Canadian HotWheels ESSO Station that I never had- but had the stickers for. And I also detailed inside the garage bays with the stickers as well...which can all be easily removed, if I ever decide to sell the Plasticville Gas Station in stock condition.PS- the '62 Galaxie isn't fully done yet, as I think I'll be applying some decals to it, to make it into a Race Car- either Drag or Dirttrack ?

PS- I also note that I forgot to paint the side Chrome Trim on the '62 Galaxie Body- D'oh ! So I'll do that later when I do the decals :)
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 pm

Nice save on the old Ford body Ralph! Ya know I'll throw a vote to the Dirt Track car!
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale