[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Low Budget Race Team

Low Budget Race Team

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: Low Budget Race Team

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Yes Sylvain, those are my cars on my layout. Although Grey Track with Turnout and single lane, are used for photo purposes only. And just as a teaser, can anyone NAME that Brand of Grey Track. Here's a Hint, it's NOT from Tyco US-1 Trucking sets ;)
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi
I will take a guess it comes from early aurora or AFX Big rider set?
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Grey Track

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat May 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Nope, Not Aurora- or AFX. I'll give you some more hints. This Track is Copyright 1982 on the underside, and was from a Very Large Toy Company based in Newark New Jersey. And Slot Cars were just a Tiny portion of this Companies Toy Production. And I dunno if this next hint/tip will help, but look at the single lane Track Connection....I think there was only one "other" track that even comes close to that type of connection.
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:37 pm

it might be ideal, set from tv serie CHIPS... but the black and yellow strippes...
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Yep !

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat May 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Bingo- we have a Winner ! Yes indeed, it's Ideal Slot Car track, which is rather rare, since Ideal was mainly known for their TCR Track sets. And Yes for the Bonus, it is indeed the Ideal "CHIPs" Chase set I own, albeit minus the Motorcycle and Van.
I was gonna post these next two pix as so you could see more of the track, but you guess it first :handgestures-thumbup:
PS- the black/yellow stripes are paper stickers, and were incorrectly applied to a few of the straight sections, when they should have used a solid yellow down the center, and the black/yellow caution stripes were supposed to be applied to the guard walls on the curves...

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sun May 18, 2014 8:28 am

Really neat stuff!

BTW - I'm a HUGE American Graffiti fan - thanks for showing those cars!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Mystery Modified ?

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Ahhhh...I dunno about this one. ie- I received this Green modified body a few years ago in a Trade with other bodies, and this body has sat behind the shop ever since. Is it worthy of further building ? Also, a question for you all > this body has AFX standard mounts inside from the Factory, but after reviewing all the old Aurora AFX body, I note it was not one of those, and it's NOT a JL/AW body, so that leaves Tomy-AFX. With whats little left of the original body, can someone tell me what Tomy Body this originally was ? I'm assuming it was a Big Nascar, or....? Can you see enough of the roofline and rear deck spoiler to make an ID ? (I'm not a TOMY Guy, but it kinda looks like an 80's Thunderbird ?)

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi
it look like a thunderbird, you could had it in a lot of colors, chassis from turbo and super g plus, really easy to find, but in race the handling it is not so good, Aw(Autoworld) has a repro of it, one thing, older body from aurora 70 and up- afx are almost the same from tomy, they only change colors of body, you can take a body of late 70(magnatracton or not) then put in on a tomy chassis will fit... most of the time

Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

TOMY Thunderbird

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Tue May 20, 2014 12:16 am

Yes, I knew about chassis interchangeability- I just wasn't sure about Tomy Bodies. But I have found out 100% thats it's the later Thunderbird that Tomy Released. They released a previous one, that Ironically I have a pair of in my collection, but didn't have this later body style...
I see that the prior owner/customizer had to cut out the windows on this body, as Tomy Bodies are one piece with just painted windows....
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 am

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi
you are definitely correct, i noticed that a while ago, that why my best racing car are made from, i use in early 70 even 80 body on srt chassis with front and rear silicone tire is even lower, the handling of it it is really good.
my personal opinion the body of the 70 and 80 where a lot nicer than the 90 and up... i had to say i am a fan of American Graffiti and muscle car
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

It's a GAS-ser !

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Wed May 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Oh Henry "J" ..... just finished up this "Gasser" Drag Car build for a customer. It uses the Dash Henry J body, a vintage Aurora Tuff Ones chassis, But, it uses a very Hot 3 ohm Galinko rewound Armature, Nacho Polymer magnets, slot tech brushes, and a few secret tweaks ;) The car is expected to run Sub-1 second runs on the scale 1/4 mile on 24volts/high amp power supply. It runs pretty dang fast on MY Dragstrip....ok, it's the fastest T-Jet that EVER has run on my Dragstrip ! :mrgreen:

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Ok, here's ONE for My Collection of Camaro's !

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sat May 24, 2014 7:46 pm

FYI- I've just added the purple Model Motoring Inc '69 Z28 Ragtop, AND- I dropped the body on an actual Model Motoring Inc Thunderplus Chassis ! This chassis is original except for a pair of original Aurora Tuff Ones Magnets, as the MM Inc ones are waay too weak. BTW- the MM Armature is just over 15 ohm on all poles, and with these magnets, this double lam motor is just as fast as the New T-Dash Chassis !
PS- I have a thing for 1st gen ('67-'69 Camaro's) :handgestures-thumbup:

Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat May 24, 2014 8:54 pm

I LOVE the Henry J! Great looking car, as all of yours are!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Speedy Pit Shop Updates....

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Wed May 28, 2014 11:01 am

Ok, first off, I want to tell ya, I spent the last month or so "Goop" repairing the bodies on Two Very Rare Color/Model T-Jets. But the bad news is, I cannot show pix of them, or even describe them, as they belong to a Collector who does NOT want anyone to know these bodies were restored. I know that sounds a little unethical, but he paid me alot of money for the restorations, and promised me he would not be selling them in HIS Lifetime....
ANYWAY, now that I'm all caught up my my body work for customers, I'm gonna do a little something FOR ME ! Seen below is my '63 Thunderbird Sports Roadster in Turquoise(wish it were Gray :D ) But as you can see, the rear fenderwells were neatly trimmed for larger tires, and this is were my "Goop" bodywork/restoring will focus.

Some of my online Slot buddies, have been postin' pix of their '56 Ford Dirt Track bodies they just got. Well, I got this one a few years ago from BallsOutRacing, and mounted it, and raced it both on my Oval and on my Dragstrip. But I never finished the body/paint work. So those guys are pushing me to finish this body.... :handgestures-thumbup:
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale