[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Almost Finished

Almost Finished

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: Almost Finished

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Have not visited for some time Kevin. Still simply amazed at you "pipe bending"!!!!! So coool!
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:21 am

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby kcl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:40 am

Yes they are made from paper clips. Chrome round ones.
Not all paper clips are the same, Some have flats on them which
doesn't work or look very good. Never have seen flats on cages or
bumpers. I do assemble the parts with glue. Have tried all types
of CA glue but what seems to work the best is Krazy Glue
Maximum Bond. Makes a good bond and also sands well.
I find both the clips and CA at the local food market so
no need to run all over looking for them or special CA.
After all the clips are cut, ground and glued, the piece is set
aside to dry for a day or so. Even though CA sets in seconds
it does not cure that fast. After the glue is cured sanding
can begin. Rough sanded first with 220 to knock down
high spots and excess also scraping with an X-Acto knife
if needed. Then moving on to 600 or 400 depending
on what's needed. If you go over them with some 2000
they will polish up real nice but since most get painted
I usually stop at 400. It's a lot of work, but the effects
are work the effort in the finished car. I was not going
to do a cage in the 37 but looking at it during pre assembly
it looked naked and unfinished that I had to build something
in there. I have also soldered them together in certain cases
but that is another bag of worms that requires a whole lot
more work to finish them.
All in all what you see in the pictures is about a months
worth of work just to get to that stage before paint.
Hope this explains the process a little better as this
part of building has gone from simple u bends stuck on
for bumpers to more involved double bar bumpers with
connecting bars in between to roll cages and drivers.
And yes all these cars are functional and will run.
Even though I myself don't have a track anymore
I would not be afraid to run them.

Kevin
kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kcl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:46 pm

One last test fit of everything before paint
A few more little things to do but they will come
at the right time during painting.

More later

Kevin
Last edited by kcl on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 pm

I like it! Oh - and thank you for the build details! Nice to know the procedure behind making this! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby kcl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Chassis is finished and back together.
Body is painted and decals are on waiting for the
clear to dry good. Once it's dry can install the body and
the headers.

All for now

Kevin
Last edited by kcl on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kcl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Finished up the 37. Mounted the body and headers did
some touch up work and calling this one done.

All for now

Kevin
Last edited by kcl on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Nice car Kevin.
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:36 am

That is just plain SWEET!
Thumbs up sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby kcl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Dug out my old Falcon,blew the dust off and started to finish it.
Started with building a rear bumper and supports.
Moving on to the front,bent up a crossbar to fit into the chassis. After looking
at some pictures decided to build some shocks and put them in before
the bumper.
After they were installed went ahead and finished off the front bumper and
mocked up the car to see what everything looked like.
Things look pretty good so now comes all the clean up and sanding.
Still have some more to do but need to finish all this first.

More later

Kevin
Last edited by kcl on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm

WOW!!! Great looking cars!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby GASSERMAN » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Beautiful work Kevin.Nice craftsmanship. I have some Questions for you Kevin about your cars. That's if you don't mind. And if you have time. What kind of paint are you using for the chassis? Are you painting underneath the chassis to? How are you mounting the bodies and hoods? Where did you get the decals for them? And where did you get some of the wheels at? Like the steel wheels and the ones with the big axle hubs? Kevin are you going to the slot car show in Morgantown PA. at the Holiday inn on Dec.14 th 10 to 2pm.Maybe I'll see you there.But I wouldn't know what you looked like .Thanks Kevin.Talk to you later. Bob........................
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kcl » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:25 am

kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Thank you Kevin. Much appreciated. When I build some I will show you some pictures of them. I forgot 1 question Kevin.What chassis do you normaly use? Talk to you later,Bob..................
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kcl » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Bob I perfer to use the AFX Magnatraction or a Non-Mag chassis. It sits lower
and with the handles cut off allows me to use many different bodies.
Some AFX bodies I section to narrow them others like T-Jet bodies
are narrow already and hug the chassis close.

Kevin
kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale