[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - StrangeBrew Vega *FINISHED* (Finally)

StrangeBrew Vega *FINISHED* (Finally)

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Re: StrangeBrew Vega WIP

Postby btaylor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:03 am

A lot of us make our own brass motor mounts. It would be very easy to build an AW or SW mount the same way.
Using an old motor can as a drill guide, you can use brass plate or strip, and make a very accurate mount.You could actually make the driveside rear axle holder and motor mount out of one piece if your layout was correct.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 am

Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks.

The rear wheels are the 5 spoke racing wheels CB Design make.

They look pretty good as they are, BUT the nice thing is that they are the same depth/size as a standard insert wheel.
SO if you want a lighter wheel and still want to use scale inserts you can.

But yes, you could easily paint these and they would look pretty snazzy :)

Since I mixed and matched on the fronts, I will use the inserts MT makes on all 4 corners.

Not sure yet...sometimes (ok a lot of times) I am slow on these things. Once I decide on paint/deco, then I decide on the wheel pattern/insert.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 am

Those are some really cool wheels, I looked at the anodized versions too. Some builds would look very nice with a pre colored wheel like that!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby RazorJon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 am

this is looking good
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:54 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Not much time to tinker, but managed to get the front bumper assembly together.

To create it I simply found a tool that had the size diameter I wanted. My trusty pin vise was the hot ticket. I wrapped the rod around until it overlapped and then trimmed it flush.

Then created the vertical bars and sanded the ends until they dropped in cleanly.

I soldered the assembly on a scrap section of wood. The wood does not act like a heat sink like my steel plate does and it allowed to sit as flush as possible.

The square tubing I use comes in handy to make front mounts that I can adjust. I cut the rods and slid them inside, then adjusted the length.

I think it came out ok.

Still have more work of course.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby scatman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 pm

"I think it came out ok." It's freaking awesome. Sir, I salute you.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 am

Great progress/how to pics!
Two thumbs up sir! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat May 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Been awhile since I had time to work on this old heap...but finished the front supports and rear bumper assembly.

I made a thin brass plate to act as the radiator. It also doubles as the support for the bars.

Not perfect but I'll race it :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Sun May 10, 2015 9:57 am

Just how I envisioned it.......I'll have to build one myself.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sun May 10, 2015 11:51 am

Turned out great :text-goodpost:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby btaylor » Sun May 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Yep, looking pretty darn good. waiting on the paint scheme!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun May 10, 2015 12:26 pm

"waiting on the paint scheme!" Yes....me too:)

Thanks guys. I hope to do this justice Mr. Brew.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RichD » Mon May 11, 2015 7:29 am

I have never seen a pre-made brass sidewinder or anglewinder bracket. Those configurations would be too wide for the type of car shown here. Years ago Dynamic had cast metal sidewinder brackets.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Oval Racing HQ!